Monday, March 9, 2020

Using Photos as Gift Guides & Activity Ideas for Your Family

My kids both have Spring birthdays and love putting together wish lists.  I always keep a running wish list for them on my phone because we're lucky to have so many family members who ask for gift suggestions.  When we find things in stores that they LOVE they'll ask me to take their picture with the item for their wish list.  This eliminates fits, or attitude about not getting xyz.  They know that the item is going on their WISH list and that they MIGHT get it for their birthday.  I also just type in items that I think they'd love for a gift as they come to mind.

We've explained that wish list does not mean that they'll definitely receive that item. 

It's more of a list of ideas of things that they'd really enjoy receiving.  I think this system works well for us because they often receive items on their wish lists for holidays.  I don't think the kids would buy into this photo system if you never follow through with granting any of their wish list items.  My kids will sometimes add big ticket items and that gives us a good opportunity to talk about budgets and how much people normally spend on a gift.  It's rare for someone to spend hundreds of dollars on a birthday or Christmas gift.  I think they're starting to grasp that more and more.

Let me give you some examples of how we use photos as gift guides.

We were shoe shopping for new tennis shoes for Olive.  Once we finished she had to check out the newest Crocs.  She found these "beautiful mermaid Crocs" and was eager to buy them.  We weren't there for Crocs that day so we snapped a picture of them.  Sometimes the more details the better - I took a picture of the crocs close up, her correct size tag with the exact style name of this pair of Crocs and a picture of her wearing them.  That way I'd be able to return to the store or order them online with the info from the tag at a later date. 

I like to include the price tag in the photo if I can.  They were $29.99 in store.  Same price online, but they were sold out in most sizes.  I mentioned them to my mom and she said she'd happily get them for Olive's birthday.  I swung back by the store the next time I was out and about kid free and bought them for her.  That way we know they'll fit, she'll have them to give Olive when her May birthday rolls around and Olive will be THRILLED.



Fletcher doesn't really need this kid cot, but he loved it.  I snapped his picture trying it out in store to keep as a gift idea down the road.  I also can see the price if I want to compare it to other cots online.

Both kids fell in love with these cozy patio chairs from Sams.  Notice their smiles!?!  They were so happy to test the chairs out while I checked out.  A quick reality check - We have no plans to add a $400 or $500 chair to our deck this season.  We won't be buying these.  However, they had tons of fun window shopping and adding these to their wish list.  It's normal for me to snap pictures of them when we are out and about.  There is no expectation that they will get all of theitems they wish for.  Just like real life - right!?!

Our Books A Million has a really neat section of toys, games and books.  The kids love window shopping there.  We'll often read a book or two, look at the toys and just enjoy being there.  Olive found a book she wanted from school.  Both kids love Beanie Boos so they asked for me to snap a picture of their favorites.  We only bought one thing that we came for - Fletcher's birthday book - and left with several new pictures for their wish list.

I went back later with a coupon for $5 off a $25 purchase and bought a game and a favorite beanie boo for each of them.  They'll be big brother/sister gifts from Leo once he arrives.  Both kids will be thrilled to see that they got something that they really wanted.




Sometimes we take photos of wish list items for others.  We have a cute cousin - Krissy - who loves flamingos.  Her birthday isn't until September.  We spotted several cute flamingos in Hobby Lobby recently.  Olive wanted me to snap a picture so we would remember to look there for Krissy's birthday gift in a few months.

We were in Walmart the other day and Fletcher was checking out all this cute Playmobil police/fire/rescue toys.  I snapped a few pictures of the ones he really liked and then passed them on to aunts and grandmas for his birthday.

We stopped in Baskin Robbins the other day and this poster caught my eye.  Family Night - special hours and prices for discounted ice cream.  I wasn't sure I'd remember the details so I took a picture of the whole poster to reference later.  I'm hoping as the weather warms up, we'll find our way to a Tuesday night Family Night ice cream treat.

 A local pottery place advertised on Facebook that they'd just gotten in these cute gnomes to paint.  You know we LOVE our fairy garden so I knew my kids would love painting these.  I screenshotted this image from Facebook so that I wouldn't forget about it.  I'm thinking it'll be a really fun thing to do over Spring Break with them.  Then we can add it to our fairy garden this Spring.



How do you keep track of your kid's wish lists for birthdays and holidays?

If you aren't in store with your kids regularly, creating an Amazon wish list is another really fun way to include them in the process.  Sometimes we type in things like LOL dolls and I'll add Olive's favorites to our online wish list.  Or we'll look for police uniform for kids for Fletcher.  It's fun to see the toys they're interested in regardless if you do it in store or online.  You'll be really thankful when they have a birthday or holiday roll around and you have already put together a wish list for them.


3 comments:

  1. I do this too!!! I have so many pictures of my kids with things they want! :-) It's nice because it makes doing a birthday or Christmas list stress-free! And you're right, it lessens the chance of a tantrum because it's going on their "wish list". I also do screenshots of so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This a great idea and one that I use loosely. I definitely keep track of items the kiddos are wishing for- and let my mom and my MIL know about them. Since my girls are older, my mom really appreciates knowing specific items they would like. I take that as an opportunity for them to write my mom a letter and kindly let her know some of the items on their wish list. We've learned a lot about manners and having realistic expectations (about thins they "want") by doing this!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.