Tuesday, March 24, 2020

8 Ways to Have Fun @ Home


I'd love to encourage moms that are home with their kids right now to have FUN with them.

Be silly, laugh, be flexible and try not to take things so seriously. 

These are all areas I really have to work on and tell myself often.  I am not known for being particularly funny, silly or laid back -  ha!  I've mentioned before, but we really are taking things one day at a time.  We plan our day around the weather, things we hope to get done and learn together. 

I tell myself all day long that my attitude sets the tone for the day and it's my job to make our days fun regardless of the unpredictable things going on in the world around us. 

Home will always be our HAPPY place.

Here are a few FUN @ Home ideas.



1. Duplo / Lego Masters
Have you watched Lego Masters on Hulu before?  My kids LOVE it.  They love seeing the things the adults are building, the themes and the challenges.  They also enjoy seeing the Lego creations get destroyed at the end.

We've replicated this at home.  I give them a theme or we decide on a theme together.  They build.  Then they present their build where they tell all the details of their Duplo build.  I give out awards and then they destroy their builds.  It's so much fun.  We have done so many of these competitions.  And they are just as thrilled each time when I give out awards for their builds.

Theme: COLOR
Include as much color as possible.
Build anything you want.
O: Built a rainbow garden
F: Built a zoo with a tall tower and train



Destroying is almost as much fun as building.


Theme: Detailed Scene
Build any scene you want with tons of details
O: Built a shopping center with a pizza restaurant & parking lot with different vehicles in each spot
F: Built a construction zone



2. Kids in the Kitchen
Invite your kids to cook in the kitchen with you.  Look in your pantry for recipes you have on hand and get busy baking.  You can let them pick the recipe or just invite them to help you make a particular recipe.  So far we've made Best banana chocolate chip muffins a couple of times, waffles and have some fun birthday treats in the works for later this week.



3. Bite Sized Meals
I've heard lots of people saying they're feeling burdened by having to suddenly fix 3 meals a day seven days a week for their family.  Make lunch simple and give your family a plate or an ice cube tray filled with bites of all their favorite foods.  It's such an easy way to use up all the little bits of food so nothing goes to waste.  My kids love this!


4. Read
I've been trying to read books for me, books for the kids and give them time to read on their own.  Olive is reading more and more independently every day and Fletcher has a stack of books that he enjoys checking out in detail on his own.


5. Create a New Playlist Together
We made a free playlist on Spotify called Kid Jams.  My kids love when we play it and it's a fun break in the day to turn it on.


6. PLAY
Give your kids plenty of time to play, create, imagine, make up games, dress up, invent, etc.  It's such a good way for them to practice compromising, sharing ideas, taking turns and listening.


7. Sidewalk Chalk & Bubbles
Get outside any time you can.  Bundle up if it's cold.  Yesterday I brought out a giant blanket to wrap up in along with my winter coat so my kids could play outside for an hour.  The fresh air is so good for all of us.  My kids enjoy bubbles, sidewalk chalk, bikes, going on walks, basketball, etc.

The weather has been pretty terrible in the Midwest - tons of rain, cold and not much sun.  We're still going outside.  Dress for the weather and enjoy the change of scenery.  I promise it'll do wonders for your mental health and patience and it'll help your kids to blow off some steam.



8. Learn Together
Work on things together.  Do elearning together.  Do packets together.  Make learning fun and remind your kids that the smartest people continue to learn new things every single day.  Make school and learning fun.  The dry erase board has been great for art, spelling words or free drawing for little brother when Olive is trying to get her work done.

We've been enjoying the Remote Learning Resources from Scholastic each week day.  They've got a lesson for each day that includes 2 books, 1 video and a few activities to go with the theme of each day.  It's been a fun way for us to learn together.  Here's the link to the website: Scholastic Learn at Home




What are some fun things that you're doing at home with your kids?


You can continue to find lots more in the "Fun @ Home" highlight bubble over on instagram (@polkadottyplace) in the coming weeks.  Follow along!!

4 comments:

  1. Gosh- you are so right- our attitudes as moms- totally sets the tone of our home!! Love all of these ideas...especially LEGO Wars!! You are an amazing mom and I always feel so encouraged when I read your posts!💛

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wise words! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! and my attitude stuck yesterday so therefore everyone else's did! Its a new day! Ella and I baked cupcakes yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I come quarantine at your house? It looks like so much more fun than what I'm doing, haha.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.