Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Tuesday Talk: The Kindness Elves


We are starting a new tradition at our house this year...
THE KINDNESS ELVES

I saw this idea of kindness elves a few weeks ago as an alternative to Elf on the Shelf and shared it in my last Good Reads post.  The focus is more on doing kind things for other people during the Christmas season and less about monitoring behavior or reporting to Santa.  

I don't have strong pro/con feelings about Elf on the Shelf, but I am surprised at how big it's gotten over the years.  I like the idea of the elf doing cute things around the house and having your kids find him/her each morning and am a little confused when I see the elves doing naughty things around the house.  Aren't they supposed to be encouraging good behavior?  I didn't think I could keep up with all the hoopla and I thought Olive was probably too young for it.  So we opted out of Elf on the Shelf this year.

I had an Elf on the Shelf for my classroom several years ago and my students always loved it.  We had fun with Peppermint and I just hid him throughout the classroom.  He didn't do anything naughty, but he'd show up rolled up in our world map, in our candy jar, hiding on the bookshelf, grading papers on my desk or pinned up to a bulletin board.  It was good fun and we enjoyed writing letters back and forth with him.  The kids would write a group letter and I'd respond as Peppermint the following day.

I found myself eager to jump on board with the idea of focusing on others and turning our attention to kindness during the holiday season with these kindness elves.  It's easy to get self absorbed with all of the events and activities going on during December so I'm happy to embrace a new tradition of serving others.  I'm excited to start teaching Olive about kind things to do for others during the holidays and throughout the year.

Our Kindness Elves - Holly & Jolly - arrived this morning with this letter.

I obviously read the letter to my toddler and we will work on doing these 8 things this month.  We can always add to the list if we finish early.  If your children are older, you could have your kindness elves give a few suggestions and then let your kids come up with more. You could also have your elves deliver a kindness task to your kids each week.  I decided that delivering the whole list at one time was best for us this year.  Olive enjoys playing with the elves and we will talk through all of our acts of kindness together.

 I'm looking forward to spreading the KINDNESS this holiday season!  It'll be fun to work through our list as a family and I will post it in the kitchen so we can refer back to it often.
 I found these sweet elves at Meijer and am excited to welcome them into our home this year.


What types of family activities would you like to do this month to spread kindness?


It's time to link up with my favorite ladies this week!
We had 145 people link up with us last time.
Join us with your favorite recent post.
Keri - Living In This Season  ~ Christina - Waltzing In Beauty
Lauren - Simply Free ~  Becky - BYBMG
Jess and Katie - Sweet Little Ones ~ Whitney - Polka Dotty Place
Laura - Life Is Beautiful ~ Elizabeth - All Kinds Of Things
Sarah - Abiding In Grace ~ Stephanie - Wife Mommy Me

Polka-Dotty Place

14 comments:

  1. The kindness elves are WAY more up my alley then Elf on a Shelf. What a fabulous concept, I'll have to remember this when we have littles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute idea! I really don't like the naughty Elf on a Shelf actions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww I love this idea! It will be fun to make these memories with Olive this holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet new tradition - I love this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH I LOVE this! I'm not like anti- elf on the shelf but we've just never done it. But I love this and I might have to steal it to do with my own kiddos. If I can get my act together :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! We could definitely use more of these types of things. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL I so agree with your Elf on the Shelf comments. I'm seriously always SO confused... but I don't have kids... so maybe it's not meant for me to understand. ;) I love your kindness ideas though - great things to start while your babies are young. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are great ideas! I like the idea of the kindness elf - I totally agree with you on the Elf on the Shelf craze. It is too much sometimes, my goodness! Thanks for linking up with us today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this!!! What an awesome idea

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! I'm not an elf on the shelf fan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute idea. We have an elf on the shelf but I agree. Why do people have them be naughty?! Our elf, Bob never does anything mischievous like that. The least thing I need is another mess to clean up. Love your idea and I love that there are two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this idea! What a great way to keep the focus on what Christmas is all about. I'll have to start this next year :) I'm featuring your post this week too! It's just too cute and too perfect! -Jess, Sweet Little Ones

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a great idea. Different from the naughty elf on the shelf. I bought one this year to do with the grandkids when they were living with me. I kept the elf to use in my class this coming Christmas and was trying to come up with an idea different than the traditional story. You gave me a ton of ideas. Thanks for linking at Christmas in July. From one teacher to another ---- great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea. I love your kindness elves. I am going to incorporate this year in my Christmas decor.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.