Thursday, April 11, 2013

My 1st Project with Chicken Wire

After closely reading the tutorial from Jacque,
I decided to give it a try.
She assured me that it was a very doable project and
her directions were great!!

Here's my version:
 I bought a staple gun with good reviews and 1/4 in staples on Amazon.
Then hired two project supervisors...
 I had to whip out the staple gun instructions to figure out how to load the staples.
 I went to Home Depot and bought 3ft wide poultry netting with 1 in mesh.
 The netting is held together by one wire so I had to detangle it.
The boys loved it.
 Start unrolling.
 I had this slightly hideous frame from college so I thought it would be perfect for this project.
Plus I was glad to upcycle something.
 I pulled out the contents of the frame and then pulled off the tabs.
 Staple gunning in a straight line proved to be a bit tricky so I had to remove some staples.
I used scissors and also pulled up the netting to remove staples.

 The cats very much enjoyed this project and used it as an obstacle course.
 I trimmed the rest of the roll off so that it was easier to work with on the final side.
 The hardest part for me was pulling the netting tight enough.
I finished the project and wasn't happy with the wavy look.
So I took the staples out on one of the long sides of the frame.
I pulled REALLY tight this time, restapled and then trimmed off the excess netting.
Much better look the 2nd time.

 Jacque was right about the pesky wire running down the middle of the netting.
It was ugly so I used my wire cutters to cut it out.
This was a little time consuming but definitely worth it.
 I'd still like to paint the frame but I am really happy with it.
 The possibilities are endless and I'm excited to attempt another chicken wire project.

1 comment:

  1. This is so cute! Great job! I love that you used an old frame that you had around the house. I have an old frame that is similar... I should definitely do something similar!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.