Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Back to School Art

My student and I have been busy doing lots of art these last few weeks.
These are a few things that I've had my students do:

1. Name Art
The kids had to write out their name 
and incorporate the letters of their name into things that they loved.
We wrapped up the project by each child presenting their name art to the class 
and then they were put on display in our classroom.

 2. Summer Highlights
I used a 12x12 sheet of scrapbook paper for this project.
They kids drew and wrote a caption for their favorite 5 things they did over the summer.

 3. Initial Murals
We read The Zebra Wall by Kevin Henkes (Highly recommend this book)
and created a mini mural with the first letter of our first name.
Then they surrounded their letter with items that also started with the same letter.
F = footballs, fairies, frogs, fruit loops, etc.

 4. Exploding Minds
I did this project for the first time last year and LOVED it.
I think it's going to be a hallmark item for my class each August.
Day 1: we drew ourselves from the neck up with colored pencil.
Day 2: We sliced off right above our eye balls,
glued our open head right onto a larger paper
and then drew all the things our minds are exploding with.
I asked them to do hobbies, favorite things, trips, school subjects, etc.
 A major highlight of being an elementary teacher in Utah,
you get to be an art teacher too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.