Monday, April 29, 2024

Hosting A Simple Lunch with Friends

Have you wanted to make lunch plans with friends, but something is holding you back?

Maybe it's the expense of going out to eat?

Maybe it's the trouble of going to a restaurant with kids?

Maybe you don't have any great lunch spots near your house?


Take this as your sign to host your friends at your house!


Leo and I hosted our friends for lunch last week and it went so well!  I made the easiest menu - simple foods, my go to dessert of chocolate chips cookies and the kids played.  It wasn't expensive or a ton of work.  I tidied up the house just like I do for any company.  It was low key and easy.

I love these navy gingham melamine plates and have a stash of napkins that go perfectly with them.  I grab them anytime I see a pattern that would go with navy gingham at places like HomeGoods.  That way I'm ready to host down the road.  Cute plates and napkins instantly makes a meal feel pulled together.  I added a table runner to the table.


I wanted fresh flowers, but didn't want to run to the store to get them or spend the money on fresh flowers.  I opted to head outside to our yard and cut a bouquet of honey suckle.  It kind of feels like the perfect Midwest bouquet and it looked really pretty on my table.

There were just 4 of us so I made a tiny fruit salad, a veggie plate, chicken salad for the moms and PBJs for the kids with a side of salty crackers/chips.

The moms loved this chicken salad.  It's my go to recipe.

2 cans of shredded chicken drained and shredded
1 cup of grapes halved
1 apple diced up
1/2 cup of pecans
3 T Spicy brown mustard 
1/2 c Duke's Mayo

Mix until everything is well coated.  Refrigerate and serve with crackers, crusty bread or croissants.  


Easiest meal ever!  The whole meal probably cost me around $15.  That is way less than what it would have cost for us to go out to eat.

Cookies for dessert and I sent the extras home with our friends.

The moms chatted and the kids played.  We had a great time together!

Here's a nudge from me to you - invite your favorite friends over to your house!!  Breakfast or lunch guests feel like less pressure than dinner guests.

4 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I love hosting at home instead of dining out too. I took a screenshot of the chicken salad recipe and can’t wait to make it —-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love this! Maybe it's springtime, but I've been feeling the desire for more old-fashioned hospitality! You are a perfect example of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the days of playdates and easy lunches like this! I need to try brown mustard in my chicken salad - great idea! Another idea for additions is green onions and a splash of ranch dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Your lunch sounds perfect - and you're right, SO much cheaper than eating out. I love a loaded chicken salad and yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.