Friday, October 2, 2020

Friday Faves: We Adopted Sisters!

Happy Friday!  It's been a wild week at our house.  On Monday, we adopted calico sister kittens!  The week has been a good one with a heavy emphasis on kitten care.

Hello from Penny & Pearl!


They are so sweet, so snuggly and already so loved.

Backstory: Olive has been asking for a girl kitten for years.  

She said she'd love a tiny kitten to cuddle.  We hadn't looked seriously for a kitten because we already have two old man cats - Oliver & Topher who are 13 & 12.  My sister started sending me kitten pictures a couple weeks ago to see if we were interested in one of her friend's kittens.  That didn't work out, but we got the itch to start looking for a kitten.  We checked our local Humane Society, Petsmart and a pet store with no leads.  I looked online and didn't find anything.  

Unbeknownst to me, Kevin had been scouring Craigslist emailing people about their kittens.  He says he weeded through a ton of rough cats to find us the cutest cats around.  He asked me to look at my computer one morning to show me something.  It was a listing for several cute kittens.  He said he'd picked three females and asked this lady to meet up with us so that we could see them.  I was so surprised.  I agreed that those were my top three choices and we made plans to meet at 5:00 on Monday.

I texted my sister about them and said that we were definitely just getting one.  I wasn't crazy and wouldn't be getting more than one.  I was excited and nervous about meeting them all day.  We told the kids we all needed to run an errand together after work.  We pulled into the Walmart parking lot and met up with the kitten owner.  She was nice and all of the kittens looked really well taken care of.  The kittens were 6-7 weeks old and the last two from their litter.

The two calico kittens were our favorite, but we were having trouble agreeing on one.  I've always loved calico cats.   I was voting for Penny & Olive was leaning towards Pearl.  The woman told us lots of nice things about them, updated us on their care and their food.  We all held them, went back and forth and then the kids started chanting YOU CAN'T SEPARATE THE SISTERS!!  Kevin said it was totally up to me.  He thought they were both cute and knew I'd be the one home taking care of them more.  We went back and forth and then I said YES to two kittens.  The kids ran around and screamed something along the lines of WE'RE GETTING KITTENS!!  I'm crazy haha.

Olive always said she wanted a white kitten named Pearl.  The kitten she was set on getting had more white on it so I asked if she thought her name should be Pearl. She said yes and then we brainstormed names to go with Pearl.  We settled on Penny & Pearl in about 5 minutes and that was that.

So far, having two kittens feels easier than having one.  They play with each other.  They snuggle and comfort each other.  They are getting used to life and big brother cats and are calling one of our bathrooms their home base.  Oliver and Topher are hissing much less and are curiously keeping an eye on them.  They have been a little messy and are still learning things, but they have been so much fun.  They are TINY.  Like the kind of tiny that you are scared of what would happen if they got stepped on.  So we are being very careful, snuggling them lots and having tons of fun with them.  

Here are our favorite kitten moments from the week.

These are their head shots that were posted online.  Kevin said they were by far the cutest kittens he'd seen so he emailed her right away.  Their previous owner named them and took cute pics.


This is the first picture I snapped of them on our way home.  I brought one of Olive's swaddle blankets from when she was a baby for them.  They fell asleep right away and were so snuggly.  Their owner told us how loving and snuggly they had been so far.

The whole family loves them and we all take turns snuggling with them.  The big kids are learning how to deal with kitten claws and Olive has requested a kitten chore chart.  Oliver and Topher are very curious about these tiny girls.  They've been a little hissy, but they are starting to get a little closer to them each day.



They've got the cutest markings - gray, white, orange, stripes, and pink paws.



Olive asked if I would print out some pictures for her to take to school.  She came home on Tuesday and I asked if she told her friends about her kittens.  She said, "Everyone!  I told EVERYONE about my new kittens!"

I've been surprised at how interested Leo is in the kittens. He laughs at them, pets them and they come right up to him.


Worn out after a long day.  Olive was making a strong case for delaying bedtime because she didn't want to interrupt these snuggles.


So. Much. Fun.  They are so tiny - they fit in all the Barbie toys.

Hope you have a great weekend!  We have lots of kitten cuddles in the works.

Linking up with Momfessionals

4 comments:

  1. And now I need a kitten. :) They are SO cute!! The same thing happened when my sister lived with us and she went with me to pick out my (one) cat. We each came home with one - it was just too hard to leave the other behind! :) I agree, it's nice to have two that can play together! Mine were that small when we brought them home and I remember feeling the same way - we put them in the bathroom at night because we were afraid they'd get hurt in our big house! I'm so happy for Olive to finally have her kitten - she'll be the sweetest kitten mommy! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah!!! So adorable, Whitney! I am just so thrilled for you! PLEASE give us lots of kitten updates!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word! Totally wanting a kitten now! I told my husband no pets til we don't have napping babies anymore, but my resolve is weakening! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. CUTIES!!! I love calicos. Both my first cat, Kittie, and Purrburger are diluted calicos.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.