Wednesday, August 15, 2018

DIY Lavender Play-Doh

My kids are obsessed with Play-Doh.  They'd play with it every day if I'd let them.  I know a lot of people hate Play-Doh, but I think it's a great hands on activity for kids to learn and play with.  It's also such a great way for kids to improve their fine motor skills.  The pros definitely outweigh the cons for me.  We do it in the kitchen or outside on our picnic table and clean up is pretty simple.

I saw a recipe for Lavender Play-Doh and I quickly made a note to myself to make that for Olive.  She really loves the scent of lavender.  We currently have 4 lavender plants growing in our gardens just for her.  She sniffs them and says... Ahhhh it's so fralaxing :)


Directions:
Chop a handful of fresh lavender.
Mix up play-doh.  Let it cool.
Add in the fresh lavender.
Knead together.
Store in ziploc bags to keep fresh.

Lavender Play-Doh Recipe:
1 c water
2 t cream of tartar
1/2 c salt
1 c flour
1 T cooking oil
couple drops of purple food coloring

Heat all ingredients together and stir until well combined.  Remove from pan and knead together.  Let cool and play!




 I gave the kids tons of kitchen utensils to play with - spoons, pizza cutter, butter knife, tooth picks, cookie cutters, muffin tins, etc.  They had the best time and the kitchen smelled amazing!


They did lavender foot prints for people and horses.  Made their toys lavender Play-Doh outfits and we've been using this same Play-Doh for two weeks and it's holding up so well!

Wouldn't it be fun to make mint or lemon Play-Doh??  They're on my radar to try next.

It's time to link up with my favorite Welcome Wednesday Ladies.
Be sure to join us with some favorite posts from the week.


3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love how it sort took on a purple hue too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I bet it smelled amazing! We never had Play-Doh growing up, but I think it would be okay as long as the rules were followed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you have lavender plants growing in your garden! I bet this play doh smells heavenly! And it looks so pretty, too! Lemon would be great, too!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.