Monday, October 19, 2020

Hamburger Stew

Happy Monday!  Hope you had a great weekend.  We had a low key weekend at home.  It was chilly, cool and we watched a lot of football.  

I love when it gets cool enough that soup sounds good again.  It's such an easy dinner to cook once and serve at least twice.  I was anxious to try this recipe for Southern Comfort's Hamburger Stew that my friend Whitney @ Come Home for Comfort recommended.  It sounded easy, delicious and had a few new ingredients for me for a vegetable stew.

I made some changes to that recipe for my own personal preferences so here's my version of the stew.

 


Hamburger Stew

1.5 pounds cooked ground beef

2 T bacon grease 

Salt & pepper to taste

1 1/2 t dry mustard

1/2 t oregano

1 medium yellow onion chopped

4 garlic cloves minced

6 oz tomato paste

1 empty tomato paste can full of water

2 T flour

1 T sugar

4 c beef broth

1 c diced tomatoes w juice

4 T ketchup

1 large red potato finely cubed w skin on

12oz bag of frozen mixed veggies (carrots, peas, corn)


Directions:

Cook the beef and drain it.  Saute the onions, garlic, dry ingredients and bacon grease together.  Add in all the veggies and liquid ingredients.  Let stew cook 1-2 hours until potatoes and veggies are softened.  This recipe is delicious right away and reheats wonderfully as leftovers.  

Serves 10-12 people or enough to feed my family twice for dinner and leftovers for lunch.

Serve with sourdough or crusty bread.  

My whole family loved this stew.  That's a mom win for sure.



3 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so glad your family enjoyed this recipe too! I like your modification of chopping the potatoes a little smaller - that definitely makes it easier to eat. I will remember that for the next time I make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks sooo good! Saving it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying it in the crockpot tonight for dinner! Made some crusty bread too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.