Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Fletcher's Off to PreK

Fletcher got to start PreK last Friday after a month delay to their back to school start.

I'm so thankful he's able to go to school in person without a mask.  His teachers wear masks, but it's totally optional for the kids.  I just couldn't bear the thought of tiny kids wearing masks and for his first school experience to be in a mask.  Especially when young kids have not been found to be big spreaders of COVID from what I've read.

We'd been talking up and prepping for PreK since Spring.  We'd purchased all the backpack, supplies and lunch stuff.  He wasn't so sure about actually going to school.  Olive was good about telling him about all the wonderful things he'd doing in preschool since she went to the same place.  He would tell people:  I'm not going to school without my MOMMY or I want to go and make friends, but I don't want to work on those letters.

All of the usual back to school open houses, meetings and events were moved to emails.  That made me nervous because I was hoping we'd get to visit school together to help him feel more comfortable.

The first day of school rolled around.  I'd packed his lunch with tears in my eyes, loaded his backpack with all the necessary things and he picked out his first day outfit (as much red as possible).  It felt different this time sending my second kid off to preschool.  It wasn't as hard as when I sent my first.  This time everything felt familiar, comfortable with just a tiny bit of unknowns.  I'm thankful for that.

When Leo woke up, he gave him a hug and sweetly said, "I've got to go to school today, little guy.  Love you."  He seemed like he transformed into a big kid overnight.  We got Olive off to school, came home for a bit and then it was Fletcher's turn.  He was more quiet than usual.  I tried to talk him through the check in process - temp check, hand sanitizer, Mom wear a mask, walk him to his classroom and then we'd go home.  He got it and we headed into school.  He was quiet and held my hand closely.  We said hello to familiar teachers and friends.  We were greeted by his teacher at the classroom door.  He found his hook, got his stuff set up and he was ready.


He gave Leo and I a big hug and kiss and yelled LOVE YOU MOMMY!  Have a great day!  He handed his teacher a little gift and waved goodbye from the comfort of his very colorful classroom.  I headed out to the car with tears in my eyes.  I was a tiny bit sad, but mostly so proud of him.  He's risen to the occasion to become such a good big brother this year.  He's got a big personality.  He's overcome getting attacked by a dog and still has the scars to prove it.  He's one tough guy.  We love him so much.

I picked him up right on time and the first thing he said to me was:

"You were right.  I was wrong.  School was so much fun!  Can I go every day??"

His teacher confirmed that he had a great day, thanked us for the gift and sent us on our way.  He had so much to report on about his day.  It was really sweet.  He loved everything about it.  It was neat to hear about his day from his perspective.  He couldn't want to call Kevin and tell Olive when she got home.

It's going to be a really wonderful year!

He read The Kissing Hand and did lots of fun things to go with it.  He couldn't wait to go back to school this week.


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad he doesn't have to wear a mask and that you were able to walk him in to the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like such a great day! So fun to read all about it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.