Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Adventuring with Mom (4 Tips)

My kids love to play outside year round.

As they are getting older, they are better about bundling up, keeping moving and enjoying the seasons.  This year we have started hiking and adventuring together.  Most of the time it's just me and the kids going on outings during the day while Kevin is at work.

I've learned a few things that make my motto #adventureawaits doable with 3 kids.  

I first started thinking about that idea of looking for adventures to do with the kids everyday when Olive was little.  It's easy to stay home and stick to your routine, but I knew we were missing out on adventures.  I pride myself in being able to find really affordable or free things to do with the kids.  This hike is totally free at a public park.  It's become part of our routine to look for new things to do or to try and call them adventures.  The kids will ask - what adventure are we going on today and I love it.  I'm hoping this is something we can start doing now and continue doing as they get older.  Olive is asking to do some camping so we'll see where that goes.

4 Tips for Adventuring with Kids:

1. Take care of yourself.

Make sure everyone uses the restroom, has a snack and has a water bottle to go.  I have snacks and water in the car for after our hike.  I can't carry all of that plus the baby so they know they fill up before we start our hike.

2. Weather check.

Good walking shoes for everyone (crocs in the Summer and socks/shoes in the cold months) & the Ergo carrier for the baby.  Also do a weather check to ensure that everyone has the right clothes - hats, hoodies, socks/tennis shoes, a blanket for the baby, etc.

3. Share the game plan ahead of time.  

We are going to hike, explore, stay together and then we can swing by the playground at the end if we are all having fun.  We also usually do a pep talk on the way to our adventure.  I'll say things like I need your help with... reading the signs along the path, reading the story for our story walk, let's look for leaves or let's be sure to explore a new trail.

4. Let the kids be the guide.  

Ask them to point out things they want to do along the way - check out a new trail, climb on a fallen tree, find the biggest leaf or look for walking sticks.  I'm obviously the guide and in charge of keeping us safe, but as long as I know where we are, it's fun to let them make decisions about our hike.


This past weekend I took the kids to one of our favorite local parks.  It's just a few minutes from our house and the kids adore the place.  My mom's group is in charge of maintaining a story walk here.  There are signs along the path and one of our board members posts a story each month for you to hike and read through.  Now that Olive is old enough she reads the story to us when we stop at each sign.

We spend 60-90 minutes here and always enjoy ourselves.  The forest is always a little different, new things to see, new things to check out and the leaves are super pretty right now.

Here's how we like to hike:

Leo is happy to ride in the Ergo as long as I have his paci and keep him warm.  Sometimes he'll even nap as we hike.

The most asked question of this hike - Mom, would this be a good walking stick??

The quest for the biggest leaf.






These two love to climb.  They are getting better at tree climbing and usually just need a little help from me.  I gave them each a boost.  Look at these proud smiles.





It's really interesting to me to see their navigating skills improve.  I've got a great sense of direction so it cracks me up when they try to talk me into going the right way back in the opposite direction.  They're getting better at looking for clues and paying attention to their surroundings along the trails.  Only one was right about how to get back...

Would your kids enjoy something like this?? 

1 comment:

  1. My kids are 4, 2, and 6 mo and we did a ton of exploring like this through the summer and early fall. You're inspiring me not to stop just because we'd have to bundle up more! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.