Friday, August 10, 2018

Kindergarten Highlights

What a week!!  I feel like we've been in a kindergarten tornado all week long.  There was so much to do, to prepare, meetings, parties, etc.  Elementary school is a big milestone!  There are so many new things to figure out when your oldest starts school.  Thankfully, everything went AMAZINGLY well and we are off to a great start.

Have your kids started back to school yet??  Are you ready?  It seems like other kindergarten mom's I've talked to aren't ready to start, but parents of older kids are often ready for their kids to return to the routine of school after a fun summer break.

Olive loved meeting her teacher and was really excited about K.  She woke up the first day of school and said, "I'm riding the bus.  Let's go!"  I had planned to drive her to school to ensure she got there safely, but she was ready.  So I held back tears and sent her off on the bus.  She never saw me cry so I am calling that a mom win.  It was definitely an emotional week for me!  We are all worn out and ready to take it easy this weekend.

Class of 2031?!?  Seems like forever away, but I know it will go by quickly.


The highlights of kindergarten so far...

School supply shopping was so much fun!!  She picked out everything horses, sprinkle scissors and if rainbow colors were an option she went for it!!

We squeezed in a birthday party for Olive's BFF Wilson.  This was their first slip and slide experience and they LOVED it.  They only wanted to go down it together.

Our back to school bracelets are still going strong.  We both love wearing them.

We ran lots of errands and enjoyed our days together up until school started.

My friend threw an Off to Kindergarten party for all of the incoming K students in our mom's group.  It was SO MUCH FUN!  The games were great and we had the best time getting excited about kindergarten with our friends.  Olive said she wants to be a singer when she grows up.  She also took care of her name tag instead of asking me to write for her.  It's so fun to see all the things she's wanting to do for herself as she gets older.



We went back to school shoe shopping with her Mimi/my mom.  Shoe Carnival the weekend before school started was a little nuts.  So we shopped quickly and found shoes that Olive approved.  Sparkles, light up, mermaid Twinkle Toes.  They're so fun!


We baked apple shaped sugar cookie for her teacher, friends and bus driver.  They are her favorite and she was really proud to give them away.

We got a babysitter for Fletcher and headed to her open house.  She LOVED her classroom and her teacher.  This really helped her get excited for school.  We unpacked her supplies in her desk and did a treasure hunt to familiarize herself with her classroom.  We headed out for Mexican (her choice) afterwards.

 Her first day of Kindergarten was finally here!!!

She woke up SO EXCITED.  I woke up teary eyed and cried as I was packing her lunch and backpack the night before.  I was so excited for her, but nervous about this new milestone and uncertainties her day would bring.  We got everyone ready and walked down to the bus stop since she was feeling brave enough to give it a try.  We made small talk and were really talking up her school day.  The bus arrived.  Her bus driver was the sweetest lady and Olive hopped on like she'd been doing it for weeks.  We waved as the bus pulled away and I cried the whole way home.  I was sad, but I was really just super proud of the grown up girl she has become!!  Everyone said the little baby years would fly by so fast and they were right.  She surprises me with her courage and I am thankful to be her mom.  She is sunshine!

We've been reading fun books to prepare for school.  You can read all about them here.

We were all counting down the minutes until the bus arrived at the end of the day.  Fletcher asked about her all day long and said he missed sissy.  I had baked her favorite snicker doodles for her when she got home.  Kevin surprised us and came home to see her.  We were both anxious to see how the day went.  She hopped off the bus and said she gave her day two thumbs up.

Turns out she LOVED everything about school.  Her teacher, her class, her day, the playground, etc.  The best part of her day was "Everything!  Except when a boy barfed on my teacher.  That was really gross.  She had to change clothes and clean up the rug, her special reading chair and her table.  It was terrible.  But we got to enjoy doing some art so it was fine."  Poor teacher!!  So thankful we're off to a wonderful start with school.

 2018 Family portrait by Olive.

Glad to have this busy week behind us.  I'm also glad to start school in the middle of the week so we could adjust to the routine for a few days before going a whole week.  We are looking forward to a fun family filled weekend and sleeping in a bit :)

Hope you have a great weekend, too!!

Linking up with My Glittery Heart

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like she if off to great start! That Off to Kindergarten party is so cute; such a good idea! I wish they had sprinkle scissors when I was in school! :) I approve of her choice in mermaid shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is so cute! I love her enthusiasm!! So glad the first week has been smooth. Good job, mama!! You did it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's such a cutie! She really seems like she's off to a great start for an awesome school year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Solon's first day of kindergarten like it was yesterday. The first was the hardest for us and I walked away with tears in my eyes feeling like I left my heart at that school! Enjoy a quiet weekend to celebrate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Whitney!! I know it’s been a big emotional week...but it sounds like it has all been so filled with JOY. So happy Olive is a rockstar kindergartner! Welcome to this new wonderful season of life!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a kindergarten teacher getting ready to head back to school (in one and a half weeks) and this post just made me so excited and happy for the school year to begin. What I love most about teaching kindergarten is how excited my students are to come to school and how big and independent they are! But another thing that I treasure most is the parents. Having them trust me with their greatest love. Kindergarten is truly a special year, and I hope you all enjoy it! This post makes me so excited to meet my new students and families! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Starting kindergarten is such a milestone moment. I'm glad it was a good week for Olive and for you too! Enjoy a restful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks adorable and I'm so glad she had an awesome first day! Hope you're doing okay too Mama- I know it's always an emotional time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this! And just as I was getting a little teary reading about you crying as she rode off on the bus... I laughed out loud that a kid barfed on her teacher on the very first day of school. Poor lady, that's got a be a discouraging start to the year! So glad Olive is rocking the school thing- knew she would!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the kindergarten party idea. Glad she had such a great transition to school!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.