Friday, August 15, 2014

Worn Bag Handles No More


I have a small collection of Vera Bradley bags and I use them all the time.  I have a few different patterns and mostly use them when I travel.  I love the patterns and different bags but sometimes I love the bags too much.  Let me explain.  I overuse my favorite bags and the handles start to wear.  The bag still looks great but the handles fray and fade.  I debated what to do because the bag was still in great condition but I found myself not wanting to carry it because the handles looked rough.  

I had the idea to cover the handles in a coordinating fabric and needed some help executing my idea.  I have a sewing machine but I have not taken it out of the box since Christmas... whoops.  My sister sews regularly so I knew she'd be able to help me.  I chose to upcycle a shirt that I no longer wear for the handle covers.  It went perfectly with it and I didn't have to buy any fabric - win/win.

 I made plans to head over to her house once her kiddos were in bed and I'd put Olive down for the night.  I left my hubby in charge and headed out for some late night sister time.  Her cat, Harry, loved all the extra, kid free attention :)

 I explained what I wanted and she got to work.  I had her write out directions since I just snapped a few pictures of the whole project.
Haley's Handle Cover Tutorial:
1.  Pick out the perfect fabric, or recycle an older shirt you don't wear anymore.
2.  Iron your material.  
3.  The size of the material is all a guesstimate.  I just cut the bottom of the shirt off and did two equal size pieces.  If I remember correctly, my pieces measured 6 inches x 17 inches each.
4.  Hem the ends of your fabric to prevent fraying.  (this is the 6 inch side).  Do both sides on both pieces.  
5.  Take one piece of fabric, and with the right side together, sew a straight stitch down the long side  (17inch side).  Make sure you back stitch when you start and stop. (repeat for other piece of fabric)
6.  Turn right side out.  It should be a tube shape.
7.  Next, I sewed my short ends shut.  You don't have to do this, I just thought it would make the ruffle look more finished.  
8.  Next, sew a gathering stitch down the center of your fabric.  I marked my center with pins.  Repeat with second piece of fabric
9.  Gather (ruffle) the fabric so it is long enough covers the areas you want to hide.  
10.  Pin both ruffles onto the bag and make sure the ruffles are even, and the worn parts are hidden.  
11.  Once you have the ruffles where you want them, use a straight stitch and sew 1/4 inch to the right and left of the edge of your strap.  I made sure to back stitch where I stopped and started my ruffle.
12. Ta Da!

I've already used my bag several times and love the little refresh.

6 comments:

  1. What a cute kitty! (oh...and a clever idea too. ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute Harry Berry pictures! Glad you liked the ruffles :) you had a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge Vera Bradley fan, and nothing makes me sadder than worn handles! Can't wait to try this the next time my handles start to fray!

    Tif @ Bright on a Budget
    www.brightonabudget.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute idea. Will try it on my worn out tote.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.