Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Good Intentions

I really did have good intentions to jump back into blogging and all of my routines this week, but then life happened and things were not so simple.

Let me explain.

We arrived back in Mississippi on Saturday afternoon to find that our AC had completely gone out.  Our house was 95ish degrees and had likely been that way for several days if not the whole week.  To make matters worse, our cats were staying at the house in these sauna like conditions.  I quickly went to find them as my husband did some AC investigating.  Oliver came out pretty easily and he looked stressed.  Topher was nowhere to be found.  I check his usual hiding spots and had no luck.  I teared up and feared the worst.  The house was miserably hot and I worried that it was too much for him.  Luckily, I kept searching, heard a little meow from under our bed and out peeked Toph!  I quickly got them some ice water, refreshed their food and litter.
Crisis ONE averted.

Crisis TWO: still no AC.
I mean the unit would not turn on at all.  We've only lived here about a month and were basically clueless on what to do/look for.  I felt really fortunate that we had a home warranty but the details of the paperwork and who to call in said crisis was not easily located.  Olive was tired, I was sweating like a beast and feeling frustrated.  We kept digging and finally found our paperwork.  Kevin called the warranty company and their response was that someone would be out in 48 hours.  That was the best they could do for us late in the day on a Saturday.  A friend suggested we call back and let them know we had a baby at home and see if we could be bumped up on the priority list.  The company said our situation was now an emergency since we had a baby and bumped us up to a 24 hour wait.  They also said they'd reimburse us up to $75 for fans to help keep us cool.  Better but not amazing.

We went out and bought a fan, got some dinner and groceries and headed back to the sauna.  We happened to have a portable AC so we brought that in, plugged in two fans + our ceiling fan and set up camp in our family room.  The one room cooled down pretty quickly and we made do.  The AC repairman came, checked things out, flipped a few switches and we were back up and running.

Or so we thought...
Crisis THREE:
We wake up Monday morning to a stuffy 85 degree house.  Neither of us slept well and clearly something was still wrong with the AC.  Kevin headed to work and I got on the phone with the warranty company & repair company.  Same repairman was at the house by 10 and he did some more checking, fixing and working on our unit outside this time.  We were up and running about an hour later.  We are thankful for the AC and realize we are complete wusses who can barely survive without it.

Crisis FOUR:
Teething, clingy baby needed constant attention.  I'd intended to catch up on emails, blog reading and writing BUT Olive needed my full attention.  It was okay because clearly that's my job but I definitely had other ideas for how my day was going to go.  When bedtime rolled around, Olive went right to bed and I started in on a big organizing project.  I heard crying coming from her bedroom about 30 minutes later and was sure she'd go right back to sleep.  Instead the crying got louder and louder.  I went up to her room to console her with the intention that she'd go right back to bed.  I approached her crib and realized I was standing in a large puddle.  She had gotten sick all over herself, her bedding, her crib and the floor.  She was a hot mess so I shouted downstairs for reinforcements.  We super cleaned her room and her, played, rehydrated her and then put her to bed in her pack in play an hour later.  I'm hopeful that she will sleep all night and feel better in the morning.

Crisis FIVE:
My hubby has been battling the head cold from H-E-L-L for weeks.  He's been on meds, shared his germs with some and Olive seems to have picked up a baby cold.  They've all been going through kleenexes like water and been a little irritable.  I've woken up with a sore throat every day this week and now my ear is hurting.  Curse you summer cold!  Stay away because I don't have time to be sick.


So much for that creative writing, fun blog post I was planning for today...
there's always tomorrow :)
unless
Olive or the AC decide to act up again.

I think I'll have some ice cream and head to bed.
Here's to hoping the dishes get done, the extra loads of laundry get folded, meals get prepared, errands get run and maybe I'll get a little ME time somewhere in there.

Disclaimer:  I realize that none of the situations above are truly crises 
BUT they sure felt like it at the time :)

5 comments:

  1. Ugh! That's a lot! I'm sorry! I hope that Olive is better this morning and you are feeling better too! And your poor cats! How scary to not be able to find Topher. I'm glad it's all fixed. We had ours go out a few years ago when we lived in Eastern Washington and it was no joke. 95 degrees inside the house is seriously hot! Take care of yourself today! {{Hug}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. When all those things hit you at once, they sure can be a crisis. 5 1/2 years ago, we had a baaad winter storm that took our power for 4 days. And my daughter was 6 months old at the time. It sure did feel like a crisis to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oh my Whitney when it rains it pours. I hope poor little Olive is feeling better and the mommy didn't ever come down sick...Life happens and it has also been happening here too. We have been sick and Grandpa has had a terrible cough. Poor guy and poor me, no sleep but we are now recovering. Sound like the whole family has had a rough time...better days are coming. Glad you had a warranty on your home....You are already getting a full dose of home ownership....Love Gram

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope Olive feels better! We got a home warranty too. We've had decent luck with ours but sometimes it depends on the repair person. Glad It's up and running now!

    Tif @ Bright on a Budget
    ww.brightonabudget.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Glad your AC is working again! Teething babies are not always fun....teething tablets worked well for my niece. Hopefully y'all will be back in tip top shape soon!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.