Thursday, June 5, 2014

Birthday Party Posters

I wanted to include as many personal touches into Olive's birthday party as possible so I was excited to put together two posters to put on display.  I was really please with how they turned out.

I did a chalkboard one and a #1 photo collage

You'll need the following supplies to make them:
2 sheets of black foam board ($5 a piece at Party City)
silver and gold sharpie marker
ribbon for border
19 of your favorite instagram pictures
photo square stickers

#1 Photo Collage Directions:
lay out your pictures first and get the shape correct
then use the photo squares to attach the pictures.  I used 2 sticky squares per picture.
Last attach the ribbon with photo squares that you've cut in half.

Chalkboard Poster Directions:
I'd recommend to start by doing a rough draft on a piece of paper.  Write out a list of important facts you'd like to include and play around with the arrangement.  You can google chalkboard posters for ideas for content and decorations.  I included her stats, favorites, fun facts, nicknames, her monogram and birth date. 

Start writing at the top and then work your way down.  The markers dry really quickly so you don't really have to worry about anything smearing.  I did all of the silver writing first and then went back and added in the gold.  Try out different fonts and sizes to make it look the best.  I did several practice attempts before writing the final version and I was happy with how everything came together.  I added in lots of designs, shapes and decorations to complete the poster once the words were written out.
 I've seen these on etsy for $20-30 
so I was thrilled to make my own for around $7.
Now that her party is over, I can't make myself throw the poster away!
I really did love how it turned out so I tucked it away in her closet for now.

4 comments:

  1. Such a cute idea! Thanks for the excellent instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute idea! I think I'm going to do a somewhat similar thing like the chalkboard poster for my sister's surprise 30th birthday. Obviously it won't include her weight and likes...more like facts from the year she was born. You should link this up to my Motivate Me Monday linky party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the posters with all the things the child has done in a year. So glad you can DIY for such a small price!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.