Wednesday, May 8, 2024

A Collected Home

One of my goals for our home is for it to be full of things we have collected.

Things that we love.  Things that remind us of favorite places and favorite people.  Things from trips, travels and adventures.  Plus a mix of antiques or family things.  We've got some new things, some things from Amazon or big box stores, but our favorite things are the ones that we've collected.  Those are the ones that last forever and make us smile.

This rainbow scoop was a souvenir from Key West.  That was one of our ports on our 30th birthday cruise.  I smile and think of key lime pie and Ernest Hemingway's cats every time I scoop sugar.


My dad has collected crocks my whole life.  My mom had baked my whole life.  I have a wooden rolling pin that was my grandmas in this crock and the crock is from my dad.  We both loved the blue finger prints that were surely a mistake.  This olive oil jar is a treasure from Park City, Utah.  My parents came out for a visit.  We headed up the mountain to Park City and my mom bought it for me.  I smile and think of the mountains and my mom every time I use it.  

Did you know that I have a plate collection?  I love a set of pretty plates.  I try to pick up floral or polka-dot plates in sets of 2 or 4 any time I see a pattern that I love.  We were strolling through the streets of Savannah, GA one Spring day when Olive and I tagged along with Kevin for a work trip.  We shopped and explored the moss tree covered streets.  I think of Spanish Moss and southern living every time I use these plates from Anthropologie.

This pretty plant was a housewarming gift from my aunt and uncle.  It seems to love this spot!  See that quirky little caterpillar?  It's hand painted by Fletcher when we were at a pottery shop in Wisconsin.  I love that happy little critter.  And the framed photo.  It's from my Class of 2000 high school graduation party.  Kevin's name tag said something like Whitney's Man on it.

This picture instantly takes us back to Ft Myers, Florida.  We had the best trip there staying at a tiny beach side condo.  We hope to go back one day soon!

What are your favorite collected items in your home?

5 comments:

  1. what a fun post! loved this tour of special things around your home! and that pic of you and Kevin is sooo sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These little treasures make your house a home and are what your kids will remember about their family life. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your high school picture is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I definitely believe that your home should tell the story of who you are and what you love. It seems like everything in my Nana's house has a story. When I was growing up, I loved pointing things out in her house just to hear her tell me where she picked it up or who gifted it to her. That definitely impacted me as my house is now full of sentimental treasures! Thanks for the tour of your collected items!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.