Tuesday, March 10, 2020

DIY Gel Ice Pack

Kevin threw out his back a couple of weeks ago.  He was in so much pain for several days.  I felt really bad for him and was trying to come up with some ways to help alleviate some of his back pain. 

He asked me to pick up some supplies - heating pad (because ours had just quit working), gel ice packs and some back pain lotion.  I did a quick Pinterest search for homemade gel ice packs and found one idea that I had all of the supplies to make.

You just needed Karo syrup & Ziploc bags.

Fill the Ziploc with corn syrup and zip the Ziploc closed.  I put it inside of a second Ziploc because an ice pack that leaked corn syrup sounded awful. 

It turned out perfect because it freezes so cold, but does not freeze solid.  This allows it to conform to any area - knees, back, shoulders, feet, etc.  It worked great and we've been using it for several weeks.  The kids even like it for their own injuries.



We used two quart size Ziploc bags. and probably 1 1/2 c corn syrup because that was all we had.  You can customize the size and quantity to fit your needs.  This would be an easy project for kids to help with if you wanted to make a few for your own freezer.  We'd highly recommend these ice packs for kids and adults!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry Kevin's back has been hurting him!!! How clever to make a DIY gel pack! I never have corn syrup on hand..but this might be a good excuse to have some in the pantry!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.