Thursday, June 27, 2013

What's Going on Right Now

Things are WILD at my house right now...

I have a 4 week old baby.  We are sleeping but are happily exhausted.  We are getting used to this new concept of being on call 24/7 as new parents.  We have a nine pounder at our house now!  
I'm visiting all of my doctor's one last time 
so my days are filled with appointments & errands.
I'm packing up my classroom with the help of friends.
I'm living in a jungle of boxes at home 
since our big, cross-country move is 6 days away.
My OCD self is not a fan of living in chaos so I'm beyond excited to get moved and settled into our new place.
My cats think we've remodeled and turned the place into a kitty jungle gym.  Poor Oliver accidentally got shut in a cabinet yesterday... we heard a banging sound and found him trying to open the cabinet door under the kitchen sink... whoops!  Being a nosey cat has its downfalls.
I'm making lists and my head is swirling with all the things we have left to do.
My hubby is working his tail off to try and wrap up things at school so he'll be ready to leave and work on his dissertation from Arkansas.

I'm spending every waking moment like this...
or packing like crazy while the little darling naps.
 No complaints from me, really, because I am loving these cuddly times with Olive.
We are remembering to eat most of the time and our meals are oh so random since we are avoiding buying groceries and trying to clean out the pantry.

Luckily, my mother in law flew into town on Monday and has come to save the dayyyyyy!  She's been a packing fool for days now and is enforcing my no heavy lifting ban since I just had a baby.  I have a tendency to overdo things so it's probably good that she's here to do that for me.  My dad gets in town on Sunday night, moving truck gets picked up Monday morning, classroom gets loaded shortly after, movers arrive at our place mid-morning, load the truck, finish packing, cleaning, etc.  Celebrate the cat's birthdays on July 1st.  Leave town on Tuesday, July 2nd.  Eeeeeeekkk!  A lot of things need to happen in the next 6 days.

So consider yourself warned that my blogging will be sporadic at best.  I'll check in when I can but it's just not realistic for me to keep up my usual two a day routine during this CRAZY time :)  I know you'll understand and I promise to be back in action soon.  Follow me on Instagram @ Polkadottyplace to see what I'm up to during our big move.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! You have a lot going on! I was wondering where you were moving to. Are you guys from Arkansas? Hang in there!

    Oh! One question...how do you move with cats? We will be facing that sometime soon, and I was wondering how to go about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristen! Yes, we are moving to Little Rock because my husband got a one year internship there. We are both from Indiana so we will be closer to home. I will have to get back to you on tips for traveling with cats because I'm a rookie! We have some meds, calming spray and a good game plan but it's not road tested. I'm just praying that the cats & baby snooze for the 21+ hour drive.

      Delete
  2. Girl just reading that made me tired and I don't have kids!!! I pray the move, drive, and packing is all so smooth and that your stress level stays low!! Even though I will miss all of your great posts I hope your blog is the last thing on your mind as you open a new chapter in your life!! Have a great weekend and I hope you get to mark off things on your to-do lists!!!
    Go Irish,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke! I'm excited for the big move and hoping that I have planned ahead so that it's enjoyable for everyone :) You know I love my lists and have about 20 going right now!! Don't worry; I'll be back in no time.

      Delete
  3. I can't even imagine packing up my classroom. I have over 1400 books in my room plus the bookcases (16 at last count). My cabinets are full of teaching materials. Thank heavens I don't have to move anything until I retire (9 years and counting).

    We moved our two cats from Chicago to central Utah 21 years ago. They traveled just fine in our car. When the car broke down in Denver (long story) our female hid under the seat and our alpha male sprawled out on the dashboard of the moving truck we rented at the last minute on a Saturday. They were just fine. When we moved two years later into our current home, we had added a cat. We locked them in a bedroom in the old house while we moved out and then locked them in a bedroom in the new house while we got settled. They were just fine. Cats are amazingly adaptable. Babies are too, as long as their feeding and sleeping schedule aren't disrupted too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice Kate!! I'm hoping my cats settle in okay, but if their rides to the vet are any indication, we are in trouble!! I'm sure the trip will go by quickly. Packing up my classroom was brutal I was fortunate to have help but it was not pleasant. Being in one classroom for 9 years = acquiring a TON of material. My husband lovingly suggested leaving it behind because it would be easier but instead I convinced him to rent a larger moving truck :)

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.