Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Aldi Haul & Aldi Tips

I had a different post planned for you today, but I had such a fun Aldi haul yesterday that I had to share it ASAP.  Several of the items are seasonal.  I didn't want you to miss out because they tend to sell out quickly.

I usually spend between $40-50 at Aldi.  I don't go every week.  I go a couple times a month to stock up on our favorites.  Then I rotate between Meijer, Walmart grocery pick up and Kroger the other weeks.

This week I spent $98.98!!  There were a lot of great things and it was time to stock up on some staple items.  I've been shopping at Aldi for over a year now.  I have definitely learned some tips to pass on.

TIP: Check out their Holiday selections.
They currently have these fun rugs for just $6.99!!  They had six different styles for Halloween/Fall.  I ended up going with the Hello Fall rug so I could leave it out for October and November.  I initially walked past this stack of rugs because it was kind of buried.  Keep your eyes open and be prepared to dig a little big for a good deal.  Their misc aisles of home furnishings are full of great things.


Wouldn't this be a cute teacher gift?  neighbor gift?  house warming present??

TIP: Stock Up
I love Aldi Diapers, but they don't always have size 6 when I need them.  I stock up when I see them in stores.  We weren't out of diaper this week, but at $10.99 a box, I was happy to grab one to use later.

Their toilet paper is great and was $13.99 for 18 mega rolls.

TIP: Check out the clearance section. 
This was the first time I had ever done that.  My football loving heart almost exploded.  These giant football bowls and sectioned platters were just $0.99 each!!  I got several because we have several tailgate events coming up this Fall.  They're melamine and really nice quality.  I also found these lemon and lime holders for the fridge marked down to $0.50 each.  

TIP: Try new things
My sister recommended this Pumpkin & Butternut Squash pasta sauce.  It's more pricey than their other sauces, but it looked yummy.  It was $2.49 and the rotini was just $0.79.  They also had a Pumpkin Chipotle sauce I'm planning to combine the two and add in some chicken for a yummy dinner.

TIP: Swap out name brand for the Aldi brand.
It'll save you a couple dollars a loaf on the bread.  The 12 grain bread is $1.79 and the oat bran bread is $1.49.  You can also get 20 soft taco shells for $1.99.  This is our favorite granola.  It's just $1.99 and my whole family loves it.

I got the chocolate chip granola bars for $1.15 and the Banana Nut cereal $2.49 to try this time.  I love both of those name brand products which makes me optimistic that I'll enjoy these.  100 sandwich bags are just $1.89 and they work great. I love their brown sugar, white sugar and flour.  The brown sugar is just $1.29

TIP: Buy the small container to sample something
I picked up the small container of creamy peanut butter on my last trip to see if we liked it.  I'm a picky peanut butter lover.  Usually I'll only eat Peter Pan PB.  I was skeptical that I'd like the Aldi PB.  I was pleasantly surprised.  We LOVED it.  I bought the large container this time because I knew we liked it.  It was just $2.49.  That is about half the price of a similarly sized Peter Pan PB container.

I also stocked up on the Raspberry preserves.  They're delicious, much cheaper than my regular store price at $1.99 and they're seasonal. 

*I accidentally grabbed organic bananas.  They're pricier than the regular ones so I'm going to be careful not to make that same mistake again.  $1.45 for 7 bananas.

TIP: Listen to recommendations from your friends
My sister loves Aldi crescent rolls.  She fixed them for me and they were really good.  I added them to my list this week.  They were just $1.15

TIP: Aldi workers scan food very quickly.  Don't be afraid to ask questions and pay close attention to where your money is going.
This bag of sweet peppers was marked $1.89 on the display.  They rang up for $3.29.  I questioned the price, she called to have someone check it after giving me a skeptical response and it turned out that I was right.  The price was marked $1.89 on the display so she quickly adjusted it.

Also pay close attention to your packaging.  When I was loading the groceries into my car I noticed the spinach bag was open.  I ran it back inside and switched it out.  A bag of spinach is just $1.19.  English cucumbers are just $0.99,

Yay Aldi!!  You should deifnitely give Aldi a try if you have one in your area.

It's time to link up with my favorite Welcome Wednesday ladies.
Be sure to join us with a couple of your recent posts and make some new blog friends.





10 comments:

  1. That pumpkin and butternut squash sauce looks amazing! I may have to go looking for that!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Aldi is just getting better and better. Occasionally I still have trouble with their produce not being quite up to par, but I am not ashamed to return something that is mushy, mealy, or something along those lines. Our Aldi employees are 100% pleasant, and always take back whatever I’m returning without a second thought. I so appreciate that! Something fun that I always look for this time of year is their gallon of fresh, pure apple cider. They only carry it for a few weeks, and they don’t have it again until next year. If you see one, and like apple cider, I recommend it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome tips. I loved their diapers and our Aldi 5 minutes from my house is opening up this spring. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no longer an Aldi near us. The closest one is about 90 minutes away from here. I need to figure out what our discount grocery store is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, totally going to look for the pasta sauce!! And those rugs are soooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those seasonal selections, and way to go on those clearance items!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the update!!! I will be stopping on my way home!!! Yippee to fall soups!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips! You're so right about the cashiers being in a big hurry. I appreciate how quickly the line moves but I try not to let them intimidate me. :) Sometimes I'll ask them not to throw my eggs in the cart or not to drop canned goods on top of a package of raw meat. LOL. I love their peanut butter too - sometimes I've gotten the big jar for right at $2! Even at $2.50 it's a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still getting into Aldi, and now that one has opened up closer to me I think I will definitely try them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the Halloween p.j's you bought for the kids, how sweet. And, the fact you have a basket of ever changing books for them just warms my (retired) teacher's heart. I think we can never discount the importance of early reading on academic success. And, to make it such fun, how could the little ones resist? Thanks for the ALdi's tips, I think here in the northeast we have a much different store than where you are shopping. My local one is in a shabby location and is often in need of some cleaning up inside. We do not have many of the offerings you post, either. Like the seasonal items - I have never seen anything similar in my store. There is also not much in the way of refrigerated items. I will look for their peanut butter (I'm a Skippy fam) as well as those raspberry preserves for my baking. I like their European style cookies and the cracker and chip selection. I often get a great price on various kinds of nuts there, too. I am hoping they spiff up the store or move into a new location or even add another store nearby as this one is kind of sad. What I don't like is not being able to always find the same items. I am, however, a big fan of their Trader Joe's which is, unfortunately, not exactly nearby. So many good offerings at the "upscale" market. Looking forward to your Halloween home tour, you are definitely the "fun mom"!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.