Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Sharing Small Meals

Do you have an elderly neighbor?  Single friends?  Parents?  Friends who live alone? Or small families nearby that could use a meal or two this winter?  I've got an easy meal sharing idea for you that will make taking someone a meal not so intimidating.

Kevin has two grandmas that live nearby and we used to have 90 year old neighbors that rarely left their house.  Both of these examples worked so well for my small meal strategy.  I buy sturdy bowls, plates and these black containers with clear lids so that I can easily share food with others. 

Step 1: Make a big meal for your own family.

Step 2: Divide up the leftovers to share.  Your family might appreciate not having to eat leftovers and your friends/family would be thrilled to get a homecooked meal that just needs to be warmed up.  It really doesn't add much to your grocery budget to share small meals.


If you follow Amy Hannon on social media @eunamaes or read her book Love, Welcome, Serve - she's always talking about having take out containers on hand at all times so that you are ready to share food with the people you love.  She will send home leftovers at the end of a dinner party or she'll cook and then drop off food to all of her neighbors.  It's wonderful and so inspiring.


I made a big 9x13 pan of lasagna and then divided it up to share earlier this month.  I dropped it off just like this - 2 servings of lasagna, side salad, I grabbed fresh fruits and veggies from our stash and then made a few cookies fresh to drop off with the meal.  It was so appreciated and not much more work since I was already cooking for my family.


Leo loves delivering food with me!  I try to put as much of it in a bag as possible so he can help and then label anything that is covered in foil.  Sometimes I schedule these dinner deliveries and sometimes it's a surprise meal drop off.  I always package it ready to eat whenever it is convenient for the person receiving the food.

If you're not up to cooking for a big family, think about the people who live alone or the couples in your life that would love a home cooked meal from you.  I've done this same formula with a big batch of chili, tacos, lasagna, baked spaghetti and more and it is always appreciated!

6 comments:

  1. This is inspiring and such a loving gesture. You are modeling this for your kids, too. Leo feels so special getting to be the delivery boy! Great ideas, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I need to restock my takeout container stash. Thanks for the reminder that hospitality doesn't have to be complicated or expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely lovely gesture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great post and reminder to take care of the elderly in simple but impactful ways. And I love that you keep your kids involved! For many years, my sister lived next door to an elderly widow who couldn’t cook for herself. Each night after my sister cooked dinner, she would fix the lady a plate and have 1 of her 3 boys take it over. The lady got a hot meal every night and enjoyed seeing those sweet boys at her door. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.