Monday, October 15, 2018

Homecoming Tailgate

I look forward to homecoming weekend every year!!  I mark our calendars months in advance and start making plans.  We invited Kevin's students for lunch, my parents and were hoping for great weather.  The clouds cleared and the sun came out just after we got our tailgate spot all set up.  Kevin fired up the grill and got busy grilling brats. 


I tried to keep the menu pretty simple and easy to transport.  It still took a ton of time to pack up all of the serving bowls, food and coolers.  I am happy to report that I remembered to bring everything we needed and the food was yummy.  I did a veggie tray, Kroger potato salad, lots of chips, fresh salsa and a couple of dessert options.

Indoor S'mores Bars

Fresh Salsa - a couple of students told me they were really hoping I'd make this for them!  It made me feel good to know they've got favorite menu items when I cook for them.


Kevin stayed with the grill and we headed over to tent city.  Each department has a tent full of games, treats and prizes for you to enjoy.  The kids had the best time and I appreciated my parents being there to help me keep track of the kids :)

My motto: NEVER turn down a group picture when someone offers to take one for you :)

My parents are both ISU alums so it was fun for them to be back for all of the homecoming festivities.  They even ran into some of their own friends :)

ISU gear, snacks, candy and favors were at every turn!  The kids were waiting for face painting.  Unfortunately, the face painter was lacking some face painting skills.  Olive's star turned out okay and Fletcher's did not.  The guy ended up painting a red blob.  Asked me to help him wash if off and then Fletcher was not about to sit any longer.  Whoops!




We had the best time!  We were excited to have such a good student turn out, Kevin grilled some delicious food and it couldn't have been a nicer day!!  We didn't actually stay for the game.  We arrived around 10:30, kept busy until 2 and headed home.  Fletcher still naps so maybe one day down the road we'll be able to stay for the game.

These two did AMAZING all day!  They were happy, friendly and it really helped to have another set of eyes (my parents) around.  I came prepared with warm layers, jackets, packed lunches, snacks, sleeping bag and each kid packed a back pack with their favorite toys to play with.  They had THE BEST time playing in Kevin's car.  They were warm and it worked out perfectly.  I'll definitely do this same set up again for our next tailgate.

Look at my cute parents all decked out in their ISU gear :)


We zoomed home after the tailgate to watch Notre Dame play!  It was fun to see them win, continue our winning streak and crash after a busy morning.  Did your team win this weekend??

And because I always love throwback pictures...

Tailgate 2017

Homecoming 2015
Apparently this is my homecoming plaid from now on :)


5 comments:

  1. What a SUPER fun weekend!!!
    You make the BEST food and are just the best hostess!! So glad y’all had such a wonderful time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet of you and Kevin to this for his students! I am sure they loved it! Your football themed serving bowls are so cute, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun! and the food looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that y'all host a tailgate for all of Kevin's students!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.