Monday, October 23, 2023

New Board & Batten Entry Ways

Hello, new and improved entryways!  

Both of our entry ways now have board and batten trim thanks to my ideas and my dad's hard work.

Let me explain.

I knew our entryways would be the perfect spot to do this board and batten trim.  Our trim and our doors are perfect to pair with this kind of trim.

I texted my dad pictures for inspiration and he came over several times to talk through my options.  We decided on the look I wanted and then he did all the measuring, calculating and cutting ahead of time.  He measured and planned out the entryway for our front door and the entrance by the garage door.  My hope was to have entryways that looked polished and finished and were easy to wipe down.  

Mission accomplished.

BEFORE: Pictures of our two entrances before the trim was added.  Plain and simple.  I was eager for these spaces to have some personality.  Remember that's been one of our big goals with our house - add personality to our new build!

I love our current trim so we just worked with the baseboards and planned the wall trim to go with it.  He measured the vertical pieces to make sure they were even and didn't get in the way of any of our outlets.



Leo was so excited when Papaw showed up with all his tools and materials.  He was happy to supervise.  My dad cut almost all the pieces ahead of time so the install seemed to go really quickly.  He set up a work station in the garage to do a few cuts and barely made a mess inside.  It's nice to have someone who's super detail oriented and a perfectionist just like me working at my house :)

He glued each piece to the wall with caulk and then nailed them in place.  He commented that this project took a lot more caulk than he was expecting. 

Proof of planning and measuring.  

I'm thankful that wasn't my job :)  I have the ideas and he makes them come to life.

Papaw was teaching Leo about measuring and reading off the measurements.  Leo was repeating while keeping a close eye on all the tools.


Good progress!  We headed out of town for a few days for Fall break so my dad got to work in a quiet house.  The cats kept him company and my mom came to supervise :)



All the layers were installed.  Things were caulked and then he did a mix of brush and roll to paint the trim.  He ended up needing a gallon of trim paint.  Plan for more than you think so that you have some for touch ups later.  All the trim got two coats of paint and it looks so bright and crisp.  Leo ended up with paint in his hair and paint on his clothes because he just couldn't stand not be right next to Papaw while he worked.


AFTER:

The hallway to the garage has trim on both sides now and looks so nice!  I'm hoping to do a fresh coat of paint on the doors now that the trim is freshly painted.

Front entryway:


Our built in bookshelves and benches were his first big project for our house.  And now the that trim is complete for his second big job here.  Everyone keeps my dad busy with projects so he's already moved onto his next one.

Great job, Dad!  It's always a pleasure working with you on projects :)


5 comments:

  1. Whitney! It looks amazing! Your dad is so talented!! What a gift to work together on these projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome results and awesome dad and papaw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Your dad is so handy...what a blessing to have him living close by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! It looks gorgeous, and what a treat that your dad could do that for you. Dads are the best!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.