Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Day in the Life (School Day Edition)

It's time for a day in the life post.

I always enjoy looking back at these to see how our routines change as the kids are getting older.

I didn't take pictures every hour.  Instead I just tried to snap pictures of our regular routine throughout the week.  I'll pop them in where they belong in our days.


January 2020 family facts:
Olive is 6 1/2 in first grade.
Fletcher is 3 1/2 and home with me 24/7.
Kevin is busy kicking off a new semester at ISU
Whitney is 27 weeks pregnant with baby #3

2020 Day in the Life (School Day Edition)

6:55am My alarm goes off.  I get up and start getting ready for the day.  I wake up the house (turn on the lights, open curtains, feed the cats, etc.)

7:10 Wake up Olive.  Get her breakfast - cinnamon toast and milk is her usual request.  She watches a show, eats breakfast, I assemble her lunch box and then get her ready for the school day.  If Fletcher is up, he gets dressed, too.

8:00 Leave for school.  I drive the kids to drop off Olive.  If Fletcher isn't awake, I leave him home sleeping while Kevin gets ready for the day.

8:15 Once a week we swing by Walmart for grocery pick up at this time.  This service is LIFE CHANGING.  Grocery shopping at home in my pjs late at night and never having to leave my car to get them.  It the very best mom/adult hack that I've added to my routine.


8:30 Back home.  I take care of unloading dishes, checking social media and posting, Fletcher and I eat breakfast (peanut butter & jelly toast is our current favorite) and make a game plan for the day.  Kevin is heading out the door around this time.

9:30 If we have plans for the day, we gear up to leave the house.  Our usual activities - story time, science class, playgroups, etc. - happen around 10:00.  We head there to meet up with friends.


10:00 Mom & Me Activities.  I try to balance out staying home 1-2 days a week to get stuff done and then putting activities on our calendar the other days.  We will also run errands during this time or attend meetings for my mom's group.  It's also our go to doctor appointment time.



12:00-1 We shoot for having lunch around this time each day.  We almost always eat lunch together at home.


1:00 Time to check in on blog work, getting computer stuff done, pay bills, etc.  Fletcher will watch shows or play on his sister's tablet during this time.  We'll read books, play games together, snuggle or plow through the rest of my to do list during this time.  Being 27 weeks pregnant, this might be the time where I squeeze in a power nap while Fletcher watches a show.



3:00 Meet Olive at the bus stop.  She wants a snack right away.  So the kids snack and watch a show or two.  Then it's time to PLAY.  Some days we'll go outside, make plans with friends or just stay home and play.  I go through her folder for the day, unpack her lunch stuff and feed her all the snacks.



4:00 I start prepping dinner.  I'll chop veggies, lay out ingredients and think through dinner.  The kids just want to play.

5:00 Olive often does her homework while I cook.  If the weather is nice, we try to head outside to get some fresh air and play.  We'll go on walks, too.

5:30/6 Kevin gets home!  His schedule varies every day, but we can usually count on him to be home between 5-6.  He relaxes for a bit while I finish up dinner.


6:15 We sit down to have dinner together.

6:45 We clear the table together.  I do the dishes and Kevin plays with the kids.  It's wonderful to divide and conquer.  He'll start bath time or do homework if we didn't get to it earlier.  I pack Olive's lunch and Kevin's lunch right after I get the kitchen cleaned up from dinner.  It feels so good to do now vs leaving it to do at the end of the night.


7:15 The adults will take turn taking showers, we'll play games with the kids, change into pjs, they'll play with their toys together and then the kids have a little snack before bed.


8:00 Book club - we pick out 2-4 books to read together before bed.  Kevin reads a devotional for us around 8:15 and then we do the whole teeth brushing/bedtime routine.

9:00 If all goes well, both kids are asleep by now.  Fletcher almost always falls asleep first because "My talker just won't quit talking" -Olive.  If I ask her to quiet down, she'll say funny things like "My battery is still at 10%.  I'm just not done for the day." or "I'm a night owl just like you, Mom.  That's how God made me." ha!

9:15 Kevin and I catch up on our days, watch shows together and always have a treat.

10:30 Kevin heads to bed

11:00 I head to bed.  I shoot for being asleep around 11:30.  If you've been around here for very long then you'll appreciate that my bedtime is hours early than it used to be - ha!  I used to shoot for heading to bed by 1 so this change has been good for all of us.

That's a wrap!! 

5 comments:

  1. Loved getting a peek into your daily routine friend!! Kind of makes me want to come and move in with you!! Ha! You're the best mom and wife 💛

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day! You’ve got your routines down to a science - just reading makes me want to tweak some things in my own day :) So glad you can sneak in a power nap, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this! Thanks for sharing the pics of the cats :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was fun to read! So glad you're getting to bed a little sooner :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this! I'm also glad to see Oliver and Topher making an appearance in the routine. :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.