Monday, October 21, 2019

Italian Sausage Cheese Tortellini Soup

I've been pinning new recipes to try this Fall.  Soup and comfort foods have sounded good to me now that the weather is finally cooling off.

I picked up all the ingredients to make this Italian Sausage Cheese Tortellini Soup last week.  It sounded so good and I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out delicious.  I started this this recipe for Sausage Tortellini Soup from The Recipe Rebel and made some changes to make it work for us.

I don't think I've ever cooked with Italian sausage so it was a fun way to change up our dinner routine.  I also love cheese tortellini.  I figured this soup had to be delicious and I was right!


Ingredients:
1 lb mild Italian sausage
3 large carrots peeled and chopped into fourths
1 yellow onion diced
1 green onion
1 bag of baby spinach
1 t oregano
1 t basil
1/4 t garlic powder
1 t minced garlic
1 t salt
1 t sugar
salt and pepper
3 c chicken broth
1 c water
1 c diced tomatoes
1 1 2/ c Ragu (or your favorite spaghetti sauce)
1 pkg cheese tortellini

Directions:
Brown the Italian sausage and crumble it up as it cooks.  Drain.  Dry off with a paper towel.

Chop all the veggies. While the Italian sausage is cooking, combine all the other ingredients in a large soup pot.  Let them simmer making sure to leave out the tortellini until you are ready to serve.  The tortellini cooks for less than 10 minutes so just pop it into the soup pot those last few minutes before you eat.

You could do this on the stove top or in a crock pot.  I made the soup at lunch time and let it simmer for an hour.  I reheated it at dinner time and added in the tortellini.  It reheated well for several days. 

The best part of this recipe was that 3/4 of my family loved it!  The adults and the kids!  Hooray!



I have several other soups I'm hoping to try this Fall/Winter.  I'll be sure to share any that we love!

2 comments:

  1. I have been craving soup like crazy lately! We are having a family gathering on Sunday and the menu is “soups and salads”! So, thank you for this recipe!!! It looks divine.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.