Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Organizing Challenge

It's no secret that I LOVE TO ORGANIZE.  I really enjoy everything about it - finding the containers, sorting the items and finding new homes for things.  In another life I'd love to come and help you organize your homes!

I have some organizational projects that I have been putting off for months.  We unpacked boxes this time last year and just kind of shoved things in closets.  That's where they belong, but it was becoming frustration to try to find anything in those closets.

So I bit the bullet and have been tackling those projects this month.  I reorganized all of our kitchen cabinets, our master closet, the kid's clothes and our craft closet.

I had been trying my best to ignore the dreaded craft closet for months.  I'd lost things in the closet and really didn't have a great idea of what supplies we had.  It was frustrating to dig through and I hated even opening the door.  I made myself tackle the project this Summer.  It feels so good to have it done!

My best tips:
1. Completely empty out the space you are trying to reorganize
2. Gather all of your bins and organizers from around the house to use
3. Use what you have to organize with
4. Throw away broken items, things you no longer want and relocate items to the right location
5. Give yourself enough time to do the project


BEFORE: It kind of pains me to show you this closet, but here you go.  A total disaster.

DURING: So many possibilities!!

CHAOS: These to pictures give me a bit of anxiety.  haha My kitchen/dining room were a complete wreck as I tried to sort through the mess.  My kids were being super helpful... luckily, Fletcher went down for a nap shortly after this victory lap.  I planned my day so that I could do most of the serious work during his nap time.  I didn't finish the project completely, but got a huge portion done while he slept.  Ideally, I do a big organizing project when I was home alone.  That RARELY happens so I just made it work. #momlife
 Seriously... my worst nightmare...

I definitely underestimated the time it would take to do this project.  I was guessing an hour or two, but it took twice that long.  A lunch break was involved and a phone call telling Kevin not to rush home to the mess.  He reminded me that he couldn't care less about that kind of stuff.

I told Olive to have some fun with letters while I worked and she did just that!  I looked over to see her COVERED in letters.  She had fun and I got busy.  Good plan.

AFTER!!!
Can you hear the chorus of angels singing Hallelujah!?!?
Order has returned with room to spare.  haha


Each bin has a purpose and organized contents.
The most used items are on the lowest shelves and the least used items went up top.
I threw out about a garbage bag full of stuff.
And this scene makes me SO HAPPY!

My husband eats a ton of things that come in these containers - peanuts, mixed nuts, peanut butter pretzels, etc.  He saves them and I used them in our closets around the house.  Medicine cabinet, toys, screws, craft supplies and more are all stored in these free containers.  I also save big jars like the first one in the post from olives.  It's perfect for our colored pencils.


What organizing projects have you been ignoring??  My next project is the closets in Fletcher's room or the bonus room.  Both need to be tackled soon.

I challenge you to tackle on of them each week until you get them done!!

10 comments:

  1. Girl I feel ya on a mess like that causing stress. I always want to give up on a project like that when I get into the thick of it, but feel so good when it's accomplished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo!!! I am in complete agreement over emptying the space out completely. If you don't, your efforts will be way more frustrating and you won't be nearly as productive. It looks so good friend. Good job to you and your helpers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That looks fantastic! You are inspiring. My girlie was given the gift of organization and helps me out a lot. This summer we went through all of our bookshelves, game shelves, and school supplies. An area that could really use my attention is the cabinet where I keep candles, candle holders etc. It kind of turned into a catchall. My problem is the cabinet is so deep. I don't think I can even reach all the way to the back. Weird! Not sure how to organize that one yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh girl!! What a big job! I can imagine how overwhelming it felt in the middle of it...but it looks so great now!!!
    Way to go girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job!!! I have definitely let a cabinet or closet get that messy and I totally feel your pain! There's nothing quite so satisfying as some good before and after pictures of an organizing project. I hear the angels singing every time I finish a big job like that and stand back to admire my work! :) I love how you used both coordinating bins and recycled containers. Great job!!!

    Whitney @ Come Home For Comfort

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet you feel tons better that it is finished! I have several projects I need to help get organized such as: bathroom, kitchen, closet, etc! I just need to get some organizing bins and go to town! We have a big pickle jar I can't remember where it came from but we put our change in it, and when it gets full we cash in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's quite the clean up! I have some areas you can come and work on anytime you want friend : ) Laughed out loud at the relaxing in the closet Olive pic- Lawter would totally do that. hah And I don't look half as good as you do mid-project girl. That hair (need heart eyes emoji here!). I'll look back at this for inspiration once my house projects are done and I can finally unpack and organize!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how I love to organize, as well! Im like you...I have to take everything out and start with a clean slate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! I love a good before and after of a deep clean and organization. What a smart tip in reusing containers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good closet clean out! Great work!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.