Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Have You Written Your Thank You Notes Yet?

Have you written your Christmas thank you notes yet?

I am an avid thank you note writer and send tons throughout the year.  My mom used to give us Christmasy thank you notes in our stocking and regular ones for our birthdays each year with the expectations that we'd follow up the holiday with personalized notes to our family and friends.  The tradition stuck with me and I've been writing thank you notes ever since.  Thanks, Mom!

I have a drawer full of thank you notes and blank note cards ready to send for any occasion.  I always keep stamps on hand so that I can't use that as an excuse for not sending notes.  Note cards are really affordable and I pick them up throughout the year.  My favorite places to buy them are Michael's dollar bins, Target, TJ Maxx or Marshalls.  Stamps are $0.49 so that'll be your biggest cost with sending thank yous.  I always think of it like this: it'll cost me around $0.70 to send a thank you note, but it'll bring a smile to the recipient and be a fun surprise in their mailbox.  You really can't put a price on a smile and warm fuzzies can you??

My best thank you note advice: Don't let thank you notes intimidate you. 
It's really quite easy if you follow this formula:

1. Greeting
2. Thank the person for the gift they gave you by name - "thank you for the lovely red sweater" vs "thank you for the gift"
3. Tell the person you are writing how you plan to use the gift, where you've worn the item or how much you'll enjoy it in the future - any details that make the gift giver feel appreciated and like you really loved your gift
4. Closing

I made my list of everyone that I need to send a thank you note to and am ready to get started.  I received the best Christmas present this year - a personalized notepad!!  I'm going to use it for my thank you notes since it will work for every family member and will fold nicely into envelopes.  Personalized gifts always make me smile :)

Do you have any thank you note writing tips or tricks for me?  I'd love to hear them.

Blogging over at Mississippi Women Bloggers today.  It's my final post in the Miss December series.  I've really enjoyed guest blogging all month and getting to know more bloggers.
Happy New Year!!

6 comments:

  1. I bought a box of cards at TJ Maxx and maybe have used 2 or 3. Definitely need to get into the habit of sending more cards

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love doing my thank you notes! This year I am making them...I'm cutting pieces of the Christmas cards we received and glueing them onto blank cards and using stamps to put "thank you" on the front. I think this is a great thing to teach your children to do as they grow up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! Thank you notes have become a thing of the past, I'm afraid. I work hard to make sure I send thank you's whenever necessary - my Christmas thank you's went out in yesterday's mail. I love your formula - that's basically the pattern I follow as well. Love those personalized notes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't done ours yet! This is going to be my resolution this year actually... I used to always write Thank Yous and then I don't know what happened over the past 2 years. Yikes. In 2015, I'll be back to it. Great post...it really means something to the giver of the gift, time, etc. Your personalized notes are perfect for that! -Jess

    www.sweetlittleonesblog.com / sweetlittleonesblog@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from Come Home for Comfort and I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love buying notecards, but I just don't sit down and write cards very often. May add that to my New Year's resolutions list! But thank you Whitney x2 for reminding me to get our thank you notes in the mail! I love the idea of Christmas note cards in your stocking. How sweet! I'm swiping the idea for our family next year.

    Katie @ Cup of Tea

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.