Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Apple Cinnamon Rolls

After our apple picking adventures last weekend, we ended up with a solid 20lbs of apples.  We all love eating them fresh and they really do taste better when you've picked them fresh.  However, I found myself scouring Pinterest in the hopes of finding a few new apple recipes for Fall.  

I didn't find an exact recipe that I was hoping to find so I made up my own.


Apple Cinnamon Rolls

They're sweet and delicious.  They definitely give this traditional breakfast item a Fall feel.

You can use any cinnamon roll dough that you like.  For this recipe I used my sourdough bread starter to make my dough.  If you don't have that you could easily use a recipe like this favorite: TINY Batch of Cinnamon Rolls.  The recipe makes 6 rolls.  Or any dough that you love.

 

Ingredients for the Apple Cinnamon Roll Filling:

1 apple peeled & chopped up very fine

1 stick of butter

1 T cinnamon + some for sprinkling on top

1/4 c brown sugar

Your favorite icing.  I always use my recipe for Homemade Buttercream


Directions:

Peel and chop up your apple very fine.  Microwave them for 1-2 minutes in a bowl to slightly cook the apple and drain off a lot of the juice.  Put the apple pieces in a paper towel and squeeze it until no more apple juice comes out.  I was surprised at the amount of juice I was able to squeeze out of one apple.  This step will keep your cinnamon rolls at their normal consistency and not make the filling watery.

Mix together room temperature butter, brown  and cinnamon until well combined.

Roll out your dough.  Spread the butter mixture on top. Spoon the apples over the top and do one last sprinkle of cinnamon.  *This step would be great to do with kids.  Roll dough into a log and cut into 1 1/2 inch cinnamon rolls.  Place in a greased pan and let them rise for several hours.  Mine rose for about 5 hours.  Bake at 350 for 16 minutes or until the top of the cinnamon rolls are golden brown.

Let them cool and then ice them with your favorite icing.  I usually stir up my icing while the cinnamon rolls are baking if I didn't already have it prepped.

 











These were delicious served warm right out of the oven or reheated the next day.  They're a yummy treat that could easily be divided up and shared with neighbors of friends.  

Would your family or friends enjoy these Apple Cinnamon Rolls?

5 comments:

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.