Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Lucky to Have a Sick Day with You

Leo came home from school on Monday and kept saying his mouth hurt.  He was sluggish and cried easily.  I couldn't see anything wrong in his mouth, but it was obvious that he didn't feel good.  

I was on high alert as all working moms would be during the school week.  We kept a close eye on him all evening and night.  I made a game plan with Kevin since my day the following day was the lightest, easiest to miss.  He'd help get the kids to school, I'd pick up and stay home with Leo if needed.

I stayed up late to write emergency sub plans for my assistant (really just added in all the extra details to my own plan book in case she was the one teaching the following day), woke up early to call into work since Leo didn't sleep well, sent texts to my team, email all the people and make sure my school day was fully planned out so that I could give Leo my full attention at home.

5-7am was stressful, but we did it!  Olive wasn't feeling great.  Leo didn't sleep well and woke up worse.  They both stayed home with me.  Fletcher wasn't thrilled to miss out on staying home but he went to school with Kevin doing drop off.  We rearranged pick ups.  And worked on all the chores/projects at home that needed attention.

I ordered a grocery delivery to stock up on popsicles, sore throat medicine, cold stuff and some favorite foods to be delivered in the morning.

We watched movies, snuggled and enjoyed a day at home together.

Leo looked at me and said "I'm so lucky to get to have a sick day with you!"  That was a good reminder for me to take the sick days even if they are a lot of work and that I can still do a job that I love and be the kind of mom that I want to be.



I got a glimpse of what the cats do all day.  We line up our backpacks at night, but since we were all home the cats took advantage of the cozy sleep spots.

Thank goodness for grocery delivery.

I surprised Fletcher with fun field trip lunch options for his field trip the next day.

It was the first day of Fall so I made sure to make this staple snack mix.  Olive managed her school work and I helped Leo work on his.  I kept close tabs on my school emails and parent app messages.

I delivered hot chocolate to cozy snuggle spots.

And finished the day with homemade cookies and running back to school to get Fletcher.  I did a quick reset of my classroom, got my Wednesday basket ready to go for the following day, set out morning work and got my classroom ready for the following day.  Then we headed home and it was time for taco night.

Thinking of all my mom friends finding themselves in similar boats this Fall and Winter.  You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.