Monday, July 29, 2024

Cave of the Mounds

We visited a new spot in Wisconsin: Cave of the Mounds.

We have been wanting to visit Cave of the Mounds in Blue Mounds, WI for a while and Kevin planned our drive so that we could go this Summer.  It's about an hour south of the dells.  He planned our drive to allow for a stop here on our way North to the dells.


The property is gorgeous - wildflowers, snack stations, gift shops, caves, gem mining, Wisconsin beer, geodes and more.  We enjoyed learning more about the accidental discovery of the cave and admired the geodes and the rock formations throughout.  We went on a self guided tour that lasted about 30 minutes.  It was safe and easy for our whole family to do.  I loved that it's a single entrance cave which means that there are no bats, snakes, critters, etc.  You got to explore and enjoy without worrying about anything popping out at you.

We rented a flashlight to take a closer look at things.

I brought sweatshirts for the kids to wear since the cave is around 60 degrees year round.

We went after a very rainy weekend so the cave was a little drippy.

We got to go at our own pace to stop and explore.

The whole family loved exploring this cave and would happily go back.







Our rock loving guy loved all the cool rocks.

The story about how this cave was discovered in 1939 was so interesting!

Cave time!









It was SO COOL inside.


We all really enjoyed this stop at the cave.  There were guides stationed throughout to answer questions and teach.  It is so nice to find a family friendly, really cool thing to do.  Let me know if you have any cave questions!

3 comments:

  1. What a great find! The flowers were so pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this! We went to 3 different caves/caverns in Ohio and Kentucky growing up and I told my husband I can't wait to take our kids sometimes. The closest one is a couple hours away from us but I think my kids are still a bit young and would be nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun place to stop! We live near Minneapolis and our oldest and her family live near Mount Horeb which is near this spot! I'll look forward to visiting when our Littles (our grandchildren) are a bit older! Thanks for sharing all the fun photos!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.