Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Preteen Parenting: Episode 4 Be Excited

We are still navigating the waters of preteen parenting well, but we are trying hard!

It's been fun to figure out what is interesting and exciting to ten year old Olive.

I'm learning that it's ever changing.

She's still figuring it out, too.


Currently she's loving: Oreo blizzards, Stitch from Lilo and Stitch, crafting, shopping, clothes, jewelry, braided hair, sending mail, writing notes to me, borrowing my phone to text family and friends and one on one attention.

I'm taking notes of what she loves and trying hard to be excited about anything she's excited about.  I try to keep her favorite snacks and products stocked.  We openly communicate about things she's on the hunt for with clothing and nothing makes her happier than browsing stores in person or online.  Olive loves to talk through her options.

I'm noticing her favorites.

And she loves when I notice.

 

Right before school started she requested a lunch date and some shopping for back to school items.  We made a to do list (another love of hers and mine!) and left the boys at home for a few hours while we shopped and grabbed lunch.

We had things we had to do - find new tennis shoes and then lots of things we just wanted to do.  I gave her suggestions and she had suggestions of her own.  We both compromised and had the best time.



Dear fellow preteen and teen moms, notice them!

Pay attention to their current likes and dislikes.

And they will love that personalized attention.

Even if they don't tell you so.

You can be subtle about it - grabbing their favorite things at the store and leaving them in their bedroom to find.  Or be bold - asking them to hang out together for some one on one time.

You can do it!

1 comment:

  1. Such a great tip, really for interacting with all ages, even your husband!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.