Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Snowman Paintings

I love doing art with my kids.  It's messy, fun and a little nuts sometimes, but the more we do it the better we get.  I always set rules - paint shirts, set expectations - free paint vs a specific project and then we work on it together.  They get the difference between free painting vs working on a step by step project.  I think the mix is good for them.

This project is great because the kids get to paint the background whatever they want - textures, colors, different brushes, etc.  We do one or two colors at a time and then let it dry for several hours.  When we return to the project, we added our snowmen.  The size and details were up to the kids.  We talked about the different components of a snowman and things you'd expect to see on a snowman.  

This multi step painting project went really smoothly.  We did it in two days.  Background on day 1 and snowman on day 2.  The kids were really proud of their work.

They each did their own hats, scarves and color selection.  I helped with the fine details of the face.  They picked the colors (Fletcher wanted his snowman to have blue eyes like him), they picked the placement and helped as much as possible.  It was a great balance of them being creative with a little help from me.  I can't wait to keep these out all winter long.


Supplies:

Framed canvases

Paint - blue, white, gray, orange, brown, red and black

paint brushes




This would be a perfect project to get the supplies for now and save for a snow day this winter!  Or if you're int eh South and don't get much snow, you could still do some cute snowman art on a cold winter day.  Let me know if you have any questions.


2 comments:

  1. So cute. I miss these little projects with the kids. But I do love that today Ella and I are making vision boards together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word! SO adorable. I love little projects that like that become treasured keepsakes.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.