Monday, January 11, 2021

2021 Word of the Year

Have you picked a word of the year for 2021?

It's time to reveal mine.  This is the 9th year in a row that I've selected a word and used it to guide my plans for the year.  I look forward to picking out my word every year.  I started when I was a brand new mom looking to add some direction to my days.  I found that picking a word of the year helped me set goals for myself for the new year.

 


2021: FOCUS

Let me share my game plan.

I want to FOCUS on my family.  

Listening to their likes, figuring out their love languages and make sure they are my top priority.  I asked each family member - What are you favorite things to do with me?  I wrote down for things for each person and I'm going to make sure to do those 4 things and more regularly for each of them.  They each said a mix of things I would have guessed with a couple of things that surprised me.  It was really sweet to hear from them what I should focus on this year.  We love doing things together so my hope is that we will find some fun new things to do together this year.

I need to FOCUS my health.  

2020 was a hard year for me with a C-section and two abdominal surgeries.  I'm feeling better now, but I need to keep the momentum going.  My goal is to exercise most days, eat real food, drink lots of water and curb my late night snacking.  I got a treadmill for my birthday and I love having the option to go do a quick workout at home.  I'm hoping to change up my doctors a bit to ensure that I've got a great team of resources around me.  I'm also turning 40 this year (how is this possible!?!?) and really want to make every day count.  I would also love to put together a great skin care, hair care and vitamin routine for myself.

FOCUS on hobbies.  

I love to bake, blog, take pictures, craft, make meals for others, write snail mail, decorate, DIY and garden.  I would love to spend much larger chunks of time on these things rather than mindlessly scrolling through my social media feeds.  I'm working on something behind the scenes that I can't wait to share with you.

I would like to FOCUS on my community and get involved.  

I'm president of my local Mom's group for several more months and want to give that my full attention.  Life is different with covid restrictions so I'm determined to make our group fun, engaging and do creative things with my friends.  Volunteering at the kid's school has been mostly called off thanks to covid.  I'm hopeful that I will be able to help more in the schools in the Fall.

As a family we are going to FOCUS on making friends.  

We'd love to have families over to our house, meet for dinner and get to know more whole families.  I've worked hard to make mom friends over the years, but now it's time to branch out even more.  We made a list of all the families we'd like to get to know better this year.  I think it would be really great to have a group of families we all get excited about seeing. 


An archive of my past words of the year:

2020: Family

2019: Listen

2018: Grow

2017: Care    

2016: Invite

2015: Enjoy

2014: Thrive

2013: Change


What is your word of the year?

It's not too late to pick one for yourself or to set some goals for the new year.


5 comments:

  1. Great pic, Sis!
    My word is “invite” and I didn’t know that was one of your old words! You’ve got a great game plan and I’m sure you’ll accomplish a lot this year! Happy 2021!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this word and your game plan to ‘focus’ on it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your word and the accompanying goals!! I look forward to hearing more on the health ones, I really resonate with that. I had our third babe plus an unrelated abdominal surgery this spring. I found an amazing multivitamin I'm taking that has helped so much with PMS, energy, etc. Now I'm trying to work out just once a week (either a walk/run around our neighborhood or youtube zumba if raining)...small goals, ha! Also loved your making family friends goal. I feel like I have lots of personal/mom friends, but my husband and I are trying to do the same as you and enjoy the larger community of having families over now that our kids are getting older and enjoy it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is a fantastic word and goal! Wishing your precious family all the best in 2021!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I hadn't really thought about a word for this year since I kind of crapped out on mine last year. But I'm thinking about using Active. There are so many things that I want to be active on: Jesus, marriage, motherhood, family, exercise, purging home. Can't wait to see your word in action.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.