Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Pantry Makeover

I've always admired kitchens that have a statement pantry door.  One that is different from the other doors.  I like the idea of a vintage door or one with glass in it.  We have a vintage door to go with our vintage house.  I just knew it would be perfect to paint!  Our house is unique because it's an older home, but it has TONS of closets.  Any way we can distinguish doors - bathrooms, closets, pantry, etc is helpful to guests as well as adding interesting elements to the house.

As luck would have it, I had plenty of leftover paint from my Front Door Makeover and that color worked great inside our house, too.  This project came to a total of less than $10 since I had already purchased all the painting supplies!

Directions:
1. Wipe down your door very well with a wet wash cloth.  I painted all sides of this door so I wiped down every side.  Our pantry door is opened and closed all day long.  It was a magnet for hand/finger prints when it was white so I'm hoping that the change in color helps that problem.

2. Let the door dry.

3. Paint!  I did one side at a time being careful to watch for drips.  The kids even helped me paint.

4. Prop it open to get good air flow to help it dry.

5. I let it dry overnight and then went back and touched up a few areas on each side.  The door needed one solid coat of paint plus touch ups to be covered 100%.

6. Ask your handy husband to hang your pantry sign.  Done!




We've got three kitchen closets - pantry and lots of storage.  Then we have a half bath off the kitchen.  I love that the pantry door stands out now!


I searched all over the internet for a simple pantry sign.  This one came from the Hearth and Home line from Target and it was just $7.99.  It's metal and has a vintage feel to it.  It comes with kit to hang it on the wall.  That didn't work for our door (the screws were too long) so Kevin improvised.


I am thankful for my handy, hubby.  He does all the measuring, power tools and logistics to make my project dreams come true!   We've figured out our DIY preferences over the years - I do the planning, shopping around, buying and get the project started.  He talks through things with me, looks for good deals and comes in to do the tool portions of the project.  Good team work to make our house a home!

A little behind the scenes... this picture was snapped at 7:30 at night.  We were both tired.  Both of us were in our pjs.  And we were about to put the kids to bed.  But instead of scrolling through our phones or watching TV, we opted to work on a quick project together to finish this pantry makeover.  

So if you're thinking you don't have time to do home projects or the money to do them, I'd encourage you to find little pockets of time in your days (your fringe hours) to make these things happen.  Get creative with your supplies and do projects that make your house feel homey.  I smile every time I see our new and improved pantry door!  It was worth the time (30 minutes of painting, planning and then 10 minutes to hang the sign).  You can do it, too!


I'm on a DIY kick this year!  Can't wait to move on to my next project :)

8 comments:

  1. Looks great!! It really is the little details that make me happy. Way to go you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That door looks awesome! Love the color you selected!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks SO CUTE! The perfect door to add a little fun to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be in full nesting mode with all these DIY projects! How lucky to have closets in an older home. Yes, so true about carving out time for little projects in the fringe hours. Sometimes productive things like cleaning, DIY, shopping etc can take less time than we think, especially when teamwork is involved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good friend.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I've started noticing the little nooks and corners of our house and have been looking for ways to enhance them - paint is such an affordable way to do that. And yay for a successful "his and hers" project! Ours never end well. Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.