Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Easy Fresh Peach Pie

I've always wanted to make a fresh peach pie.

I love making pie, but was kind of intimidated to give this pie a try for some reason.

Remember last week when we picked up 25lbs of fresh Georgia peaches??

I figured this was the perfect time to share some peaches with our neighbors and give a fresh peach pie a try!  I looked all over Pinterest for recipes and settled on this Peach Pie recipe from Crazy for Crust.  It looked simple enough and sounded so good.


I made some changes to the recipe and would HIGHLY recommend it.

Here are my changes to the Crazy for Crust recipe:

Pie ingredients:
1 unbaked pie crust

5 cups fresh peaches (6-8 peaches peeled) (sliced, washed and pat DRY - make sure they aren't wet or you'll have a gooey pie)
1/4 c sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
splash of lemon juice
1 T corn starch
sprinkle of salt

Combine all ingredients in a bowl until the peaches are well coated.



Topping:
I used the Crazy for Crust crumb topping recipe with a few changes:
1 stick butter grated
1/3 c white sugar
1/3 c brown sugar
1 c flour
 
Grate a cold stick of butter into a bowl with the dry ingredients.  Combine with a pastry cutter.


Bake unbaked pie crust shell at 450 for 8 minutes.
Remove from oven and add peach pie filling mixture.
Add on crumb topping in the middle of the pie leaving a ring of peaches exposed around the edges.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.  Broil the last couple of minutes to ensure a crunchy sugary topping.

Let cool and serve with vanilla ice cream.

The adults at our house LOVED this pie.  We love lots of pies and decided that this pie was easily one of our very favorites.  I'll be adding this into our summer rotation for sure!


 I was expecting 40ish peaches in our 25lb box, but we actually ended up with 60!  It was a great opportunity for us to enjoy some Southern peaches and share with our neighbors.  I wish I could include a big whiff of peachy goodness with this picture.  It smelled SO GOOD!


Here are a few other ideas for how we used our peaches this week:

1. Peaches on a Charcuterie Board. 
They were the favorite item that night!

2. Fresh Peach Cobbler
I first shared this cobbler recipe last summer.  It's so good and so easy!  It's also a great recipe to make with your kids.  These cute cousins chopped up all the peaches for me and we mixed the toppings together.  Very kid friendly!


3. Frozen
We ate a ton of peaches this week and still had enough to freeze for one more cobbler.  I peeled them so they're ready to go for a cobbler or smoothies or maybe on top of some yogurt!

 The peach truck comes back to our city in August and I'm already marking my calendar!!

What peach treats are you making this Summer??

2 comments:

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.