Monday, June 5, 2017

Summer Pound Cake

I found THE yummiest summer recipe this weekend and I'm so excited to share it with you.  We had a fridge full of strawberries and I wanted to make a dessert with them.  I searched Pinterest and came across Paula Deen's Mama's Pound Cake  I had all of the ingredients so I knew it was the perfect treat to make.  I've always been really happy with her recipes and this one was definitely a keeper.  I made a few changes to the original recipe and have them listed below.

Summer Pound Cake

Isn't this a gorgeous cake!?!?!

This Summer pound cake was really easy to make and it was SO GOOD!  I'm definitely going to bring this to any gathering we are invited to or host this summer.  The bundt pan makes such a pretty cake and it travels really well since there isn't any icing.  I pulled out my late Grandma's strawberry napkins for this dessert and they were perfect.  Aren't they sweet?!?!

RECIPE:
1/2 t Clabber Girl Baking Powder
1/2 t salt
5 eggs
3 c flour
2 1/2 c sugar
1/2 c shortening
2 sticks room temp margarine or butter
1 c whole milk
1 t vanilla

Toppings:
powdered sugar to sprinkle on top
2 lbs fresh strawberries
granulated sugar
whipped cream

Cream together butter and shortening in a mixer.

Add sugar.

Add in one egg at a time.

Combine flour mixture in a bowl and then add whole milk.  Alternate adding in a little flour and a little milk until you've mixed it all in.

Add vanilla last.

Pour into a greased bundt pan.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour.  Make sure a toothpick comes out clean in the center when it is done.

Chop all of the strawberries, wash and then sprinkle some granulated sugar on top of them to create a little strawberry syrup while the cake bakes.

The cake smells amazing right out of the oven.  Let it cool for 30 minutes in the pan and then flip it over onto a pretty plate or cake plate.  Once it's cool, sprinkle powdered sugar on top and serve.  You could easily serve it without the strawberries, but it just feels so summer with the berries and cool whip on top.

ENJOY!!






I'm taking the kids strawberry picking with friends today so I'm hoping to have more strawberries to enjoy all week long.  Check back in tomorrow for some of our favorite strawberry recipes.

5 comments:

  1. Oh this looks SO good. I have actually never made a pound cake before but have always wanted to. Thanks for sharing a recipe. I can always count on Whitney approved ones to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE pound cake and this one looks so good! Plus, its really pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister made one of Paula's pound cake recipes (I don't know if she has more than one) for Easter dessert a few years ago and I remember how amazing it was! Yours looks perfect!! And that first photo - you need to frame that and hang it in your kitchen! It's gorgeous! I've used all exclamation points in this comment, but after all we're talking about pound cake! :)

    Whitney @ Come Home For Comfort

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy Whitney! Love those pretty tea cloths too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love pound cake! And this one is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.