Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Preparing to Be Spontaneous

I've mentioned before that no one would ever describe me as a spontaneous person.  I'm not good at last minute and it's hard for me to be flexible.  I've gotten better over the years because I force myself to say yes to fun things that come up.  I almost always end up having a great time so it's a good motivator for me to be spontaneous.

I love to plan.

Everything.

All the lists.

It's my happy place.

Parties, trips, dinners, play dates, etc.  I will usually write out a to do list, supply list, timeline or at the very least make a mental list.  I have learned over the years that I am better about being spontaneous if I've prepared for it.  The planner in me just has to plan in some way.

I know that sounds a bit ridiculous, but let me explain...

I really enjoy baking for other people and bringing something when we're invited somewhere.  I have learned that I can stir up cookie dough, scoop and freeze it out in scoops so that if we have to take a treat last minute I am prepared.  It takes 15 minutes from freezer to done.  It's so handy!  This saves me from having to stop and pick up a store bought dessert last minute.


I also have my pantry stocked with some favorite things to help me say yes to last minute play dates.  Snacks, muffin mixes, easy things to take on the go like granola bars, rice krispie treats, etc.  I'll pick up steaks when they're on sale and surprise my husband with a fun steak dinner during the week.

I have a bag of extras in my car for those last minute things that come up.  Snacks, books, towels, hoodies, extra diapers and wipes just in case.  My Ergo baby carrier and stroller are always in my car.  I can say yes to last minute things if I have those things with me all the time.  My gas tank always has at least a half a tank of gas in it.  That way I'm not having to get gas last minute.  Not a huge deal, but it's nice to know that's already taken care of.

I try to schedule doctor appointments for first thing in the morning.  That way the rest of our day is free to do other things that come up last minute.

I buy cute gifts when I see them and save them for birthdays.  I find great kid items at TJ Maxx so I snatch up any cute Melissa and Doug toys and save them for when we get invited to a birthday party.  I also will buy things when they go on super sale on Amazon.  I keep an eye out for my kid's favorite toys to go on sale and then pick them up to give as gifts throughout the year.

I pack our swim bag ready to go in case someone makes last minute plans to head to the water.  I don't have to round up every swim thing we own for all three of us - I just grab the bag.  This also comes in handy if Kevin gets home from work and wants to head to the pool.  Everything is ready!

I'm not a morning person so I stock my freezer & pantry with easy breakfast options for my family.  I make a big patch of pancakes and freeze them, buy french toast sticks at Sams that bake in 15 minutes and have lots of cereal/cereal bar options.  All of these help me come up with fun breakfast options on a whim.

Is there anything you do in advance to help you be spontaneous??


It's time to link up with my favorite Tuesday Talk ladies!
Be sure to join us with your favorite post.
FYI We are not having Tuesday Talk next week - enjoy the 4th of July with family and friends!




7 comments:

  1. I enjoy being spontaneous sometimes, but I'm definitely a list maker and planner. If it's something simple I have no issue changing plans or making it work, but big things would stress me out. I'm very organized in my van when r comes to snacks, extras, etc. and I love the idea of freezing cookie dough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this list Whitney. I like to make all the lists too but this is one area that I don't do so well in. I think if something feels to spontaneous for me I usually just say no. Maybe if I prepared a little more, I wouldn't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought to make your own cookie dough and freeze it like you did!!! That's so much cheaper than buying the precut squares from the store--plus the freezer will make it last longer. Saving that idea!
    Sarah at MeetTheShaneyfelts

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!!! I am a planner too and definitely being 'prepared' for would make saying yes to things much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always so nice to stock up on things! The cookie dough is a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love this post. I have been trying to be more "go with the flow" this Summer. It's been going well for us. I have learned that I don't need a list of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the cookie dough idea! I've done it a few times, and it works so well when you want cookies spur of the moment.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.