Thursday, September 18, 2014

Progress in The Church Search

I wanted to give you a little update on our church search in Jackson.  We have visited two different churches at this point and are feeling like we are narrowing things down for our family.  My husband and I both enjoyed the new church we tried last weekend and are eager to go back this week.
There was a lot going on for kids and families, Bible studies galore, activities throughout the week, it had a friendly vibe with lots of young families, the church was close to home and we really enjoyed the sermon/pastor.  Olive didn't love her first time in the nursery, but I think it was just scary for her to be in a new environment.
 
It's kind of amazing how things in blogland work and how you really can make friends by blogging.  I have "met" some other bloggers from Mississippi and one in particular has reached out to me several times to help us get settled here.  Sherry has suggested restaurants, helped give us a feel for the area and has answered lots of my questions over the last several months.  She emailed recently to check in and ask about my church search.  We realized that the new church we tried was the same church her daughter attends.  She quickly put me in touch with her, introductions were exchanged and we made plans to meet up.

The church offers a Tuesday morning Bible study for Moms and I was definitely interested in joining.  I picked up all kind of fliers and information papers on Sunday after church.  It turns out that Sherry's daughter goes, encouraged me to come and said she'd be happy to show me around this week.  We met before class started and Wesley was everything I hoped - darling, friendly and very welcoming.  She immediately made me feel at ease.  We got Olive settled (albeit I left her crying and prayed she'd soon recover) and headed up to class.  Everyone was very friendly and there were so many nice ladies.
  
I had also emailed the Bible Study leader in advance and she was SO KIND.  She assured me there was plenty of room in her class and that I'd fit right in with these Moms.  The group was small enough that she spotted me right away.  She hugged me and told me she was glad I was there.  I felt like I was included and fit right in from the start.  We are studying the book of Malachi and have a workbook to go through.  I joined in a small group for the end of class and the Moms of all ages were so friendly.  I can't really explain it, but they made me feel like I'd always been a part of their group.

Olive did great in the nursery!  They didn't page me at all and she really enjoyed herself.  She played with the other kids and the teachers said she had a good time.  It helped that there were only a few kids and several teachers to make her feel comfortable.  I also loved that the same ladies who were there on Sunday were also working on Tuesday.  I think Olive will enjoy the playtime and the opportunity to make some new friends.

I think these ladies are going to become some sweet friends.  Several of them exchanged phone numbers with me saying they know how hard it is to move to a new city.  They asked about me and my family and I was eager to learn their stories.  I've been impressed with these ladies - several who've already followed up with text and emails since class on Tuesday.  I have the sneaking suspicion that Tuesdays are going to be a highlight of my week.

Knowing someone on the first day was exactly the push I needed to try out something new.  So I am very thankful for Sherry and her desire to welcome me to Mississippi!!  I am guilty of talking myself out of things - you won't know anyone, everyone will already have friends, you won't fit in or you won't know enough to go.  It was nice to punch all those fears in the face and just go and enjoy the morning with other moms.

Do you have a new neighbor or a new co-worker that you could invite to do something with you?  I can tell you from experience that they will really appreciate your offer.

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! Our church is so small and I know most of the ladies work during the week, so we don't have many things to offer. I know the after school kids club is pretty popular & the lady who runs it is the best for it. I'm so glad you are finding friends who attend church! :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.