Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Shopping Buddy

Shopping is a hobby of mine but it has become quite a challenge.  It's a lot of work to get out and go with a baby.  I have to pack her diaper bag as if we were going on a mini vacation so that I'm prepared for anything and everything that might come our way.  The car is packed with her stroller and Chicco carrier at all times just in case we'd need them.  Going to the grocery store used to be a quick errand that required very little prep but now I have to coordinate and plan using real strategy to make our errands successful.

 Lucky for us, the carrier works as a baby whisperer and Olive usually falls right asleep.  We take turns wearing her and she seems to just enjoy the ride.  This is a miracle because my hands are free, she can have her paci and I have room in the cart because it isn't full of car seat.  The only downside is that it's a little tricky to get a tiny baby into the carrier.  It goes really smoothly when there are two people to get it set up but when it's just me I have to work a little harder.

Our trip is usually successful if...
 I feed her right before we leave, she has a clean diaper on, our paci is readily accessible and she's dressed for the weather.  I definitely don't have all the answers because we've walked into stores, she starts screaming for no apparent reason and we leave only to return the next day to try it again.
It's amazing to me how much attention a baby attracts.  When we are out and about, Olive is a magnet and everyone wants to look at/talk to her.  It throws me off a bit because we have only been in Little Rock for a little under one month and I don't know anyone.  So when people approach me in the stores, I have to fight off the stranger danger vibe and be chatty with them.  I tend to be a little shy in a new environment so Olive is helping me get out and talk to people.  Our recent encounters include a lot of "God Bless Yous" from sweet older ladies, lots of compliments on her accessories and people reminiscing about when their kids were that young or saying to be sure to enjoy every minute with her because it goes by so quickly.

Well the gist of my message today is: If you see a mom shopping with her kid(s), help her out.  Hold open a door for her, get the carts apart when they are stuck, let her hop in line in front of you if her baby is crying and smile at her.  It's hard work and all mom's could use a little bit of encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.