Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Halloween at Home

I love decorating, baking and planning events for the holidays.  I really enjoy crafting with my kids and having our home look really festive for the current season.  We got the house decorated and had time to do a couple of cute projects this month.  I'm excited to share them with you early in the month so that you've got plenty of time to make them with your kids if you want.

Ghost footprints:
Directions & Tips
I pulled all of our Halloween colored paint, paint brushes and canvas for this project.  I also had an abundance of wet wipes available.  I let my 4 year old paint the background with the instructions to completely cover up the white canvas.

I've found that if I give her all the colors at once she mixes everything and we end up with a murky brown painting.  However, if I give her one color at a time changing up the brushes she uses then the end result is much more colorful.  I helped her a little, but she did the majority of it on her own.  We let it dry and then added the ghost footprints.

I layered one heavy coat of white paint on her foot, stamped it and then touched up any areas that didn't stamp bright white.  Wet wiped her foot and then moved onto my son.  After the foot prints dried I added the ghost faces.  I always write the year and the kid's ages on the back of our art work.

I snapped some pictures around the house this weekend of our Halloween decor.  We focus on fun, sweet and silly Halloween decorations.  You won't find anything really scary or spooky at our house.

I did my own fun painting project this past weekend - a giant candy corn for our front door.  It was a easy project that definitely adds some cheer to our porch.


My Pottery Barn Kids plates are some of my favorite Halloween decorations.  They're just so cute.  My kids love eating off of them all month long.  I add in some fun Halloween dish towels into the rotation and it makes the kitchen feel festive.  These plates are from 2015 and 2016.  They come out with four new ones every year.  I didn't love the 2017 plates so I didn't add any new ones to our collection this year.  That's my new shopping rule - don't buy it unless you LOVE it.

Our table.  Real pumpkins mixed with fake and burlap place mats.

The top of the fridge is a great spot to put breakable decorations so that your kids can't get to them.

Olive spotted these pink and purple velvet pumpkins at Target last week and had to have them.  They look really cute in her room.

I try to have kid friendly decorations that can't be broken where the kids can reach them.  They play with dancing Snoopy all day long and practice trick or treating with their pumpkins.

This basket is always in our family room and I change out the books monthly for the holidays.  The kids know all of these books stay here and we read through them almost daily.

A little Halloween mixed in with our usual family room decor.



Do you decorate for Halloween?



6 comments:

  1. I have some ghost footprints that I did with my girls way back when. So fun to have those precious memories. I STILL need to put up my Halloween stuff. I got the box out of the attic, but that is as far as I went. I think that will go on todays agenda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all things Halloween. That footprint canvas is too cute - and you did a great job on the candy corn for your door too!!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the candy corn door hanger and the canvas! So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I decorate for Fall, Halloween and Thanksgiving all at once. Mostly because if I were to split the 3 up, I wouldn't have a ton of decor. Doing all 3 at once gives me more decor to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute, Whitney! I absolutely love your candy corn door decoration! The colors are perfect with the color of your front door - it really pops. I have a few Halloween specific items that I pull out for October. This year I couldn't make them all work with what I already had out, so I went light on the Halloween stuff. My new decorating rule is a lot like your shopping rule - don't put it out unless you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing other people's take on the holidays. We have a lot of similar traditions--we love using holiday plates and keeping books out for the season. And I have ghost feet prints of the kids from a few years ago. Your mantle is adorable!
    Happy Fall!
    Jaclyn @coffeepancakesanddreams.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.