Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Self Care Doesn't Have to be Extravagant

Self Care.

That term keeps popping up everywhere.

What are you doing for self care?  Are you paying enough attention to yourself?

I love the idea of taking good care of yourself.

And I really think that looks different for every single person.

I'm here to advocate that self care can be simple and does not have to be extravagant.  


For me, Self Care means:

1. Regularly scheduled doctor visits
Not something I enjoy in the moment, but knowing that I'm taking good care of my health makes me feel good. It's something that was hard to do when I had tiny babies and we were moving to a new city every year.  But, now that we are more settled, I've established care with lots of people I love.

2. Running errands solo
I'll bring along a coffee, a book and a list of places that I need to go.  Kevin is home with the kids and I enjoying flying solo for a couple of hours.

3. Staying up late to watch something on the DVR and enjoying a quiet house

4. Dinner out with friends

5. Going on bike rides by myself
We usually do a family bike ride all together because together is our favorite place to be.  Then I head out on a ride alone.  Kevin heads home and plays with the kids outside.

6. Healthy meal planning

7. Making time for hobbies I love
My current favorite hobbies include blogging, gardening, walking, baking, decorating and delivering meals to people

8. Date Night / Getting a babysitter
We don't have a regular babysitter routine these days.  Ideally, it would happen once a month, but I don't remember the last time we had one.  I have been enjoying a getting a day time babysitter to help with Fletcher so I can do things in Olive's classroom.  Still working on our next date night.

9. Organizing my house
I know that this might stress people out, but I LOVE to organize.  I really enjoy a tidy home and running a tight ship in this department.  It makes me feel so good to work on organizing projects.

10.  Adult conversation with friends and with my husband
It can be challenging to feel heard and think clearly when you're spending your days around little people.  We even consider Sunday morning church as a little date.  We drop the kids off at their Sunday school classes and then head to church by ourselves.  We know the kids are having fun learning about Jesus while we are doing the same.

I'm not really the girl that is going to plan a big trip away from my family or kids in the name of self care.  And I'm probably not going to go on a big trip with friends.  Maybe it's because I have young kids or maybe that's just not my thing?

I'm also not going to spend a bunch of money for a spa day, pedicure or facial.  I just don't love those things.  I've done them and I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.  No judgement from me if those are your things.  I just prefer a simple list of self care things at this point in my life.

All that to say, I think it's important to figure out what self care looks like for YOU and what you need to feel refreshed and recharged.  My idea of self care has changed as I've gotten older and become a mom.  Simple things like going places by myself seem like a quick little vaycay now :) 


I can't wait to hear your answers:  What does self care look like for you??

extravagant

5 comments:

  1. So true! This is a great list and a good reminder. I love that you take a bike ride alone - so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Practice self-care no matter what that means to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a future blog post on how you bless others with meals. I think this is a great idea but don't know what to prepare or how to go about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO behind on commenting...but wanted to make sure I let you know just how GOOD this post is!!!
    We are so similar...I share the idea of what self-care looks like! While I will be the first to admit- going to get a gel manicure or massage is an extra special treat...my routine self care looks like: waking up EXTRA early to sit in the quiet, pray, read daily scripture and center myself; making myself a nutritious lunch and eating it in the sunroom with a fun catalog or magazine, listening to a podcast while I am driving, going for a run/walk- ALONE- outside, taking the time to meal plan, write out my grocery list and grocery shop (alone if I am lucky- HA!) For me- I can make many activities feel like self care if I am intentional in how I do them. LOVE this post and LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For me I have started taking relaxing baths more. I also do solo shopping trips and regularly get my nails done and my eyebrows done.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.