Monday, August 2, 2021

Garden Fresh Bruschetta

The kids got to try bruschetta when we on vacation in Florida this Summer.  We all really enjoyed it and put it on the top of our wish list when our homegrown tomatoes were ready to enjoy.

The kids have loved helping me garden.  We check on the garden every day.  The tomatoes have done pretty well along with our herbs and zucchini.  We're still learning how to grow some of the other things we attempted.

We waited until we had a big bowl full of tomatoes.

We planted a mix of yellow, sweet, cherry and more bite sized tomatoes.

The mixture is so yummy and pretty!


 

Ingredients for bruschetta:

a rainbow of bite size tomatoes halved

yellow onion finely diced

purple onion finely diced

chives

basil

salt & pepper

garlic salt

olive oil

 

Bread:

baguette

olive oil

Parmesan cheese


Combine all the above ingredients to your taste and let the bruschetta mixture marinate.  I let this sit for about 30 minutes before serving it as an appetizer.

 

Slice your baguette and place the slices on a baking sheet.  Drizzle the slices with olive oil and broil until just slightly browned.  Immediately top with fresh shaved parmesan.  I did this on about half of the slices of bread.

Truthfully, the baguette that I got in my grocery pick up order was pretty skinny.  It made for small bites.  I think in the future I'd go with a little bigger slice of bread so that it could hold the bruschetta better, but this tasted amazing.  We all licked the appetizer plate and there were zero leftovers.  The kids loved the tomatoes and the bread.  They picked out the onions and were very proud to be eating food that we grew. 



The perfect Summer dinner - steak, potato salad, watermelon, corn on the cob and garden fresh bruschetta.  Yum!!


I'm going to make this again as soon as we get enough tomatoes.  I might even add a little balsamic drizzle to it.  Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them.