We are back to school today, but I'm still living off the Summer travel high. We had some really great trips this Summer. Kevin plans the details of our trips and I work on packing and organizing us along the way.
If you need an INSTANT mood booster, stop at a nice gas station and let everyone pick out a snack or two of their choice. I don't police this process much other than to remind them it's a great time to get things that they love.
Some trips I do a post it note countdown on one of the back windows. We did this for our road trip to Miami. Although seeing a count down of 18 hours to get to Miami may not have been encouraging to anyone :)
We also empty any trash out of the van every single time we stop. That keeps the van clean and mom happy. It also helps make sure everyone has the space they need.
Make sure everyone packs the correct charging cords and/or has their portable chargers fully charged.
Bring a little car blanket for everyone in case they want to nap. I use turkish towels and they work perfectly. Each kid packs one in their backpack and uses it for a pillow or blanket or towel as needed.
Now it's back to school season and the traveling will have to wait a bit :)





Fantastic tips! I used to love road trips when I was a kid and my parents letting me choose whatever snacks I wanted, it always felt like such a treat!
ReplyDeleteLove your tips! Wally's sounds so fun! When I was a kid I remember we did a really long road trip from Washington state down to Los Angeles and I don't know where my mom got this idea but she took a men's dress shirt and somehow sewed it up to create different compartments throughout. You'll have to use your imagination to picture that haha. And then she put little surprises in each of the compartments/pockets. I never forgot that, it was so unique and I think the only time she ever did anything like that, but I loved it so much!
ReplyDelete