Monday, January 23, 2012

What are Scallions?

Apparently, not many people know what scallions are.
I confess, I did not know either.
I was grocery shopping at Target this week and had scallions on my list.
I picked up these thinking they were scallions.
Turns out that shallots and scallions are not the same thing.
 I hunted around and couldn't find any produce labeled scallions.
Kevin asked 5 or so employees for help and got nowhere.
I made an emergency grocery store call to my mom for help.
She googled it and said that scallions looked like this:
Helpful tip but none to be found.
Maybe if scallions were this cute, I would have found them :)
 We decided to buy green onions instead since they seemed similar.

The final straw was to ask our cashier what scallions were...
She said, "They are a type of seafood.  They are round and squishy.  
My brother loves them but I don't care for the texture."  
Kevin said he was surprised that they were seafood... 
clearly our dear cashier was confusing scallions with SCALLOPS!
I felt like we should be hosting an episode of Jay Leno's Jaywalking.

3 comments:

  1. your mom is right very similar to green onion

    ReplyDelete
  2. VERY FUNNY! Good choice on the green onion. You know I could have told you that :)
    LOVE YA!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. First good belly laugh for the day :) Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave sweet comments; I enjoy reading every one of them. I reply to your comments via email so make sure you aren't a "no-reply" blogger.
Smiles, Whitney